X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thoughts on discontinued SlatQH

[ QUOTE ]
    Couple of thoughts--

1. Jackson should embrace its long-established identity, not try to compete with the "old fart guitars." From a marketing perspective, that's about as credible as Gibson's attempts to make shred guitars back in the '80s. To me, the SLATQH fell into that same category, regardless of how good it was. It's not 1994 anymore--pointy guitars don't have the stigma they did during the grunge era, even if they aren't the 'hot item', either. Jackson should be Jackson.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jackson should build and sell guitars that look and sound and feel like Jacksons. Whether they look like "old fart" guitars to you is a matter of personal opinion not functionality.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Jackson should build and sell guitars that look and sound and feel like Jacksons. Whether they look like "old fart" guitars to you is a matter of personal opinion not functionality.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's basically what I meant. The look does sort of go along with the whole packaging, though, especially for the folks who market them.

As far as the "old fart" comment, I have every right to use that since I am one!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

However, I have not yet succumbed to the charms of a $4000 PRS with skinny frets, round fretboard radius, and a vintage trem. So, I guess I'm not spiritually an 'old fart', even if my aching joints say otherwise... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's basically what I meant. The look does sort of go along with the whole packaging, though, especially for the folks who market them.

As far as the "old fart" comment, I have every right to use that since I am one!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

However, I have not yet succumbed to the charms of a $4000 PRS with skinny frets, round fretboard radius, and a vintage trem. So, I guess I'm not spiritually an 'old fart', even if my aching joints say otherwise... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Touche! I too am an old fart, I just refuse to leave my Jacksons alone! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Here are some pics of my fixed bridge prized possession Jacksons.

These are LARGE, so I'm only posting the links to them. Download at your leisure:

Here is the Custom Shop 24-fret SLATQH I bought brand new from Lee Garver at GMW guitarworks. He had this listed for $2500 on their website for a long time with no takers, yet I kept eyeballing it and couldn't forget it. When I had the money, I yanked it! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] All mahogany body and neck, 24 frets, gold hardware, Seymour Duncan 59 pickups. The lowest action of all my Jacksons.

http://www.johnjgray.com/Jackson/SLATQH1.JPG
          http://www.johnjgray.com/Jackson/SLATQH2.JPG
          http://www.johnjgray.com/Jackson/SLATQH3.JPG
          http://www.johnjgray.com/Jackson/SLATQH4.JPG

I bought this SLATQ90 from Matt @ OnlineStageGear.com back when he was still a Jackson dealer. I eyeballed this beautiful guitar for quite some time before I bought this one too. It was the only one he had like this. All mahogany body and neck, abalone piranha inlays, knobs, and logo:

http://www.johnjgray.com/Jackson/SLATQ90-1.JPG
          http://www.johnjgray.com/Jackson/SLATQ90-2.JPG
          http://www.johnjgray.com/Jackson/SLATQ90-3.JPG

I like taking pictures like this one, two Slat headstocks:

http://www.johnjgray.com/Jackson/HEADSTOCKS.JPG

This is my most recent purchase, the new Jackson USA SLS model. My god this guitar rocks - as all my USA Jacksons do! The sound is PHAT!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Love the SD Pearly Gates pickups:

http://www.johnjgray.com/Jackson/USA-SLS.JPG

How can you not love these guitars? It's impossible. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Enjoy guys!

John

Comment

Very very nice pics John! Thanks for posting them. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Dibs on the SLATQH if you ever decide to sell her. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
            Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Jeezus John, the SLAT's are gorgeous!!!! Nice! Jason has one lefty that has been sitting there awhile. I might have to snag it after I get the Red KV2. I need another pointy one first!

Comment

Very nice SLATs and a bitchin' SLS!
                RR24M -SLATQH- 2 SLSMG's- DKMGT- 3DXMGT's
                CHS2 -Traditional- 2 SC90 Surfcasters
                Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55
                Ibanez Artcore AM77, AF125NT,AS93

Comment

Yep, a few dealers sell Jackson's really cheap. The result is, dealers can't make a decent profit on the guitars, so then they don't stock them. If they don't stock them, then the brand loses sales. If you lose too many sales, your brand goes out of business. But hey, you got a great deal on your DK2 before Jackson went under!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Cause and effect guys and gals....that's why Jackson was sold to Fender.

Fender wants Jackson to be around for the long haul. Please support the dealers who PROPERLY support Jackson. That way we can all enjoy them for many years to come.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Fender wants Jackson to be around for the long haul. Please support the dealers who PROPERLY support Jackson. That way we can all enjoy them for many years to come.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that my brutha!

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                    Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

LOL Matt - I think he might have been talking to you in that first paragraph.
                      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Yep, a few dealers sell Jackson's really cheap. The result is, dealers can't make a decent profit on the guitars, so then they don't stock them. If they don't stock them, then the brand loses sales. If you lose too many sales, your brand goes out of business. But hey, you got a great deal on your DK2 before Jackson went under!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Cause and effect guys and gals....that's why Jackson was sold to Fender.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely, support the retail guys. After all when you have been used to getting damned near perfect guitars at a great price for years why should you have a problem paying a much higher price to keep up with the Joneses AND get mediocrity delivered right to your door JUST like the Joneses

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          LOL Matt - I think he might have been talking to you in that first paragraph.

[/ QUOTE ]

Naw Matt just has a good business philosophy. Instead of making as much as possible of each sale and only having the customer once. He sells stuff reasonable and has repeat customers. Thats how you stay in business and help of a music manufacturer.

Instead some of these shops like GC treat each guitar like its their last and sit on them for 2 years until someone without the sense to know any better(or their parents) buys it. It just comes down to whether you want to sell 5 guitars and make x amount or 1 guitar and make 5x. Unfortunately for guitarists there are to many stores that want to make the latter. So instead of ordering 5 top of the line guitars and sitting on stock(cause they will at top dollar) they order 20 low rent guitars cause those are the ones that new players and thus uniformed consumers will buy at full retail.

Comment

Working...
                          X