Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jackson soloists - what's the worst era?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jackson soloists - what\'s the worst era?

Originally posted by toejam:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the "Bill Lawrence" humbuckers that Jackson used were the imitations that Stew-Mac sells and not the real BL pups. Did Jackson ever use the real version? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You are correct, sir. You can tell them apart fairly easily: the "Bill Lawrence Design" pickups made by Bill's former business partner (and used in the mid-90's Jacksons) have very thin blades, where the pickups actually made by Bill and his wife have wider blades that curve upward in the middle.

I've never heard a single complaint about Bill's pickups, where the jury seems to be split on the "Bill Lawrence Design" ones that were sold by Stew-Mac (I think they may have stopped selling them).

When I get my Soloist, I am probably going to swap out the pickups, and I may go with real Bill Lawrences all around--L-250's or 280's in the neck/middle and an L-500xl in the bridge. It may depend on well I like the fake BL currently in the guitar. Anybody have experience with these(the fakes, that is)? The only guitars I've played them in were a Nuno N2 and a Rhoads Std., and I wasn't impressed in either case. But the Rhoads may have been wired up wrong because it sounded out of phase.

[ May 29, 2003, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: pro-fusion ]

Comment

For me the worst era was back when I had none, now that I have a few Soloists I say this is the best era [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      Seriously, all Soloists are great!

Rudy
      Rudy
      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Yeah, I would say he just drove by.

I haven't had all the different era Soloists. I don't even get to play many as being envoloped in the vintage guitar scene doesn't present me with many Jacksons to try out. I did try a new ghost flames Soloist this past weekend at a guitar show (it was the only USA Jackson out of the thousand or so guitars there). It was a great guitar. Still made with quality. I didn't care too much for the neck shape, but I know some people would prefer it.

Comment

The worst era is right now when you cannot sell a Soloist to true Jackson freaks, yet everybody is talking up a storm about how great Soloists are

Comment

Ouch Chuck ouch....
            I keep the bible in a pool of blood
            So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Working...
            X