Arch top soloist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch top soloist

I am undergoing some serious GAS. While I am considering an 88 Rhoads (it would be my first) I see this in my local "Used gear" paper -
    88 JACKSON GUITAR,arch top soloist custom, serial 0073, neck thru, exc cond, $2000 OBO
    I have bought gear from him in the past. He was cool enough to let me play it, and I have LUSTED after it since I have played it.
    There are a bunch of these on evilbay right now as well.
    What do you think is a reasonable offer? It is near mint, except some clear coat scratches, which may even buff out. It is loaded with Zebra Seymour Duncans.

Re: Arch top soloist

Hmmm. "A Bunch on Ebay"? Not that I've seen.... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Anyhoo, the serial number confuses me - that's a Custom Shop bolt-on number, making it the 73rd one ever made.
    If the serial is U00073, it's a USA, if it's J000073 (6 digits after the J) it's a Japanese-made. If it's a bolt-on, it's a Dinky (or Fusion of it's 24 3/4" scale).

Sooo anyway, $2Gs sounds like a lotta cabbage for that. $1000-$1200 is the highest I've seen them sell for.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

It's a JA # (not stated in his ad, but I remember from when I played it and he wasn't thinking about selling it), so would that would make it an Ontario 88?
      As far as eBay - my bad - there is one custom shop soloist that is similar in looks to an archtop, and there is one archtop listed, but it has a Kahler on it.
      So - IYO - is the $1000-$1200 the going price for a JA serial numbered soloists? I want to approach him with an offer - don't wanna screw him, but don't wanna get screwed myself either.
      Thanks for taking the time on these posts with a newbie.

Comment

Since it's a JA serial number, depending on the condition I could see it fetching quit a bit. Maybe not $2000, but honestly, if I had that kind of money I'd make an offer. The original archtops are *HIGHLY* desirable. What kind of bridge does it have? Tune-o-matic with strings through?

Comment

Yep - very similar to this one in the gallery
          http://www.jcfonline.com/gallery/jac...rch-JA0074.jpg
          Except the P'ups are Zebra Duncans... I think JB/Jazz from what I can remember

Comment

Maybe as a trade I'll just offer up my MKIIC+, Imbuya/Wicker Combo, with roadcase, cover, all footswitches and original documentation (man, that thought HURTS)

Comment

My Dead Mint 1993 Soloist Custom Shop. Non-Recessed Floyd,mahogany body,maple neck-thru,quilted maple top,jumbo frets,binding over the frets,ebony board with fins,black hardware,black side dot markers,inlaid logo,2 EMG pickup, I wouldn`t take less than $2000 for her, they only made 2 in the year 1993. Good luck in your search for a USA Archtop [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Jack.

[ June 01, 2003, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: slayer ]

Comment

Then it has dots, not fins? I would definitely see if he would come down, in that case.

Comment

Another pic!!

Comment

1 more [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

My! Look at all the little red X's!

Comment

That gives me an Idea... you will know what im talking about later on tonight.

[edit: Nevermind... that wont work]

[ June 01, 2003, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: Larry ]

Comment

Thanks guys. I guess I'll give it a shot....
                          Slayer - the links to your pics aren't happenin'...

Comment

$2000?!!
                            Dam, I'll sell mine if these are going for $2000.
                            I own JA0074. I traded two guitars that I had a total of $800 into them for it.
                            I could have probably got it for $1000 if I just paid cash for it instead.

The original archtops (with JA SN) come up for sale every now and then, but they usually have a high price tag and never sell.
                            I remember four off the top of my head that were on ebay with prices of $1700, $1425, $1200, and
                            the Mick Mars one that I think was asking $2000. And I don't think any of them got a single bid.

Maybe the market has changed and there is more demand for these now. I'm curious to see what the one on ebay brings
                            since it is by far the lowest price I have ever seen for one.

Also, if you are considering dropping $2000 on an Archtop, keep in mind that you could order one
                            from the custom shop for around $2200.

Comment

No - I don't want to drop 2G's on it. I'd have trouble dropping 2G's on any used instrument, unless it was one-of-a-kind, historically significant, etc.
                              I want to go to him with a fair offer, and wanted to rely on the collectors and experts here in the JCF to give me an idea of how collectable it is, and what it would be worth in the "Jackson" world.
                              I remember there being one on eBay last year from a European seller who had listed it a few times - I think at $1200. No bids...
                              Tell you what - if I do end up w/ #73, I'd be REAL intersted in picking up your #74. Sounds like you still got a great deal on your trade.
                              I'll keep you posted - and I know well enough that if I do score it, I'll post pics ! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X