Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those of you with RR1's with EMG's in em ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those of you with RR1's with EMG's in em ?

Howdy all,

Well after coming to love my RR1, Ive suddenly started to feel like her tone is a bit.. flat ? She doesnt seem to have that crunch on the bottom end im looking for. However im crazy about the neck / body style so im planning on dropping a pair of EMG's into her.

For anybody with an RR1 with an EMG setup in them, what emg combo have you use (60,81,85,etc) and what where the results ?

Thanks

Re: For those of you with RR1\'s with EMG\'s in em ?

If recently you feel the tone is flat, and you didn't think so before, maybe some other factors are to blame: Battery, Strings, Cord, Amp, Equalizer.

Matt

Comment

Current taste in music [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously, if you've got a fairly recent RR1, I'd blame the JB in the bridge. Try a Distortion. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
      I thought the JB was great till I got a Distortion. Now the JB seems dull and average - like an import's stock off-brand pickup. Not too salty, not too sweet, not too hot, not too cold, just kinda average.

Regarding Matt's suggestions, it's really not uncommon for tonal preferences to change in a short period of time, especially as one is exposed to various guitar tones. Like I said, I thought the JB in my Ash King V was great till I put a Distortion in my KV Pro. While body wood does have some role in it, I did a pair of recordings a while back comparing the JB in the V to the 500T in my LP. Aside from a little more bass response in the LP, the two sounded identical. I attributed the extra bass response to the LP itself, though.
      Guess I gotta replace the 500T now [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I've had an EMG81 in the bridge of my San Dimas Rhoads for over 12 years...I'm very happy with the setup...it sounds way crunchier than my new SL2H (w/ stock JB/59). Soon, I will install EMGs in the SL2H, then start practicing for my Slayer tribute band! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

BTW I play through a modded Marshall JCM800.
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

@ Matt - Actually, I finnaly was able to upgade to a decent amp. Playing through a crappy pos makes everything sound the same.

But yea, thanks everybody, it seems that everyone has good results with EMG's. now to chose, should I go 81/81 or 81/85 or even 85/85 ?! ahh the choices.

Comment

Go with an 89, its supposed to be just like an 85 but is coil tapped. lol. I love mine. I dont get why more folks dont use them. But either way you cant go wrong with EMGs.

Comment

Absolutely no doubt that you need an 81 at the bridge and an 85 at the neck. The 85 is exceptional for clean tone, but the 81 beats all hands down for crisp tone and crunch.

Comment

I wouldn't go that far. I used to have an 81/85 combo in my King V and hated the tone. The bridge 81 was too thin and the neck 85 too wimpy. I swapped the positions so the 85 is in the bridge and the 81 in the neck and it's greatness. The 85 is PERFECT in the bridge if you prefer chunky rythm type stuff (what I do most).

Comment

As Jackson16 said, use the 89. I never understand why guys go with an 85. The 89 in full humbucker mode is the 85 but also has the single coil tone option of the EMG-SA. Even if you never use the option, just knowing that it's there is a good thing, makes the guitar better and more versatile.
                  "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                  Gotta get away from here.
                  Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                  Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mariah:
                    I wouldn't go that far. I used to have an 81/85 combo in my King V and hated the tone. The bridge 81 was too thin and the neck 85 too wimpy. I swapped the positions so the 85 is in the bridge and the 81 in the neck and it's greatness. The 85 is PERFECT in the bridge if you prefer chunky rythm type stuff (what I do most).
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I dunno, I've been using 81s in my 1991 King V through a Mesa Boogie Mark IV for 12 years and I wouldn't trade it for anything. The thin tone could have to do with the amp or the wood of the guitar. A buddy had an 81 in a Demon korina and it sounded like crapola, same with basswood. Combined with Poplar or Mahogany is the best. If you don't believe me check out the tone on our album "Trinity"... not too shabby if you ask me [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, I don't have a Rhoads (yet) but I do have a custom KV that had bill lawrences in it. I was completely unhappy with the tone, response, and feel that they gave my guitar. Yes, feel. Well, I opted to put EMGs in it, went with the 85 in the bridge and an 81 in the neck. !!!DAMN!!!, is all I can say.

Much improved tone, now the guitar actually feels more responsive and sounds more to my liking.

I already had a guitar, my warrior, with an 81 in the bridge, and wanted to try the 85 there, since it'd been so long since I played a guitar with an 85 there... I'm SOOOO Glad I did. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I have EMGs in my early 90s rhoads (81 and 89) and I think its one of the best playing and sounding guitars. I love it. Its all black and just sounds killer. I love the 89 cuz its coil tapped so it gives the rhoads a nice clean tone. I
                        love this rhoads. It kills almost any other guitar I play. Id say try a guitar with EMGs first to see if they are your cup of tea. I just thought Id voice my opinion cuz I have a rhoads with them and it sounds killer.

Comment

I second the motion of finding a guitar with EMGs and seeing if you like them. They are great pickups,but you may notlike them. ALso, see if you can find a Duncan Distortion for a good price, and drop it up if you are not too keen on the EMGs.
                          That was Randy's choice!

I am also a memeber of the "why the heck are they using JBs?" club. A good pickup for a Les Paul, PRS, etc...
                          but for the USA selects? NOPE!!!

Comment

I actually have played two guitars with EMG's in them both ESP eclipses, one with 81/81 the other with 85/85. They both sounds pretty darn good, but the 81 wasnt as crunchy as I thought. Which is supposta have a better low end and thump ? the 81 or the 85 ?

Comment

The 85 is the one with more low end. I have the 81/85 combo in a Rhoads and like it a lot. If I wasn't so lazy and the guitar wasn't setup so nice I'd swap them over and give it a try but I'll probably just leave well enough alone.

Comment

Working...
                              X