Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Estimated price on Soloist back in 1988?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Estimated price on Soloist back in 1988?

How much do you guys figure a Soloist retailed for in 1988? No fancy options or graphics or anything, just the basic stuff...basically a modern-day SL1 but with toggleswitches and a midboost.

I´m planning on selling one of mine, and a potential buyer for some reason wants to know what the guitar cost brand new back in ´88. Somehow during our conversations he comes across as a retard that knows nothing about guitars, so I don´t think I´ll be selling my baby to him...but I try to answer any and all questions people have when I sell stuff.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Re: Estimated price on Soloist back in 1988?

I'm guessing 1500.00 give or take a 100.00. depending on the store. I haven't seen any used one's go for more than 700.00-750.00 lately. I know you can buy a brand new one for 1200.00 and change online. Figure half that for a used 88'. Unless yours is mint. hope that helps! Anyone else? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Well My Charvel Model 4 was $1099 w/case (yea I pain full retail), the Model 5 next to it was about $1-200 more. That was back in '87.

Comment

i paid $700 for model 6 brand new the ltd model88 was $50 bucks more i remember trying to decide which i liked better. that was the last new guitar i bought.

Comment

I seem to remember them retailing for around $1800-$2K for the standard color Soloist Customs. Figuring on the high end, $2000 in 1988 money is equivalent to approximately $3050 is todays money when adjusted for inflation.

Comment

In 1988, a USA soloist listed a little over 2200.00 for I bought one during this period for a little under 2m. Jacksons/Charvels are a targeted
            market and as we all know, so today's supply and demand should be the rule here. I'll say a fair
            price should be worked out beteen buyer and seller here. I've seen them as low as 700.00 and as high as 1500.00.

Comment

I have an '87 soloist, white with platnum finish, that I bought new in oct '87. I paid a little over $1500. List on it was something like $2000. I still have the original receipt. Hope that helps.

Ken

Comment

I'm not sure if by "retail" you're asking for manufacturer list price or true customer cost. So...

In `86, I custom-ordered a Soloist student w/ebony fretboard and OFR. I paid $1,310. (Yes, I still have the original receipt. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) I think that was around 30 or 35% off list price of that time, so figure it to have been around $2,000.

Weird question for him to ask, though. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks for your help, guys. We have actually worked out the price between us already, but suddenly he wants to know what it cost brand new fifteen years ago along with some other weird stuff...like asking if it´s made of solid wood or plywood [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Now I can tell him the original value of it, and then tell him to leave me alone because he ain´t gonna get it [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Is that the red soloist with the non-reccessed floyd? You sent me a pic I think. That is if youre the same Dave L as in GMF...

Comment

Jepp, det är den! Fast den är faktiskt orange i verkligheten [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Jag har fått värsta skumma köparen på den, som du kanske märker...tror inte att min älskling vill hamna i händerna på honom [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] can you translate that [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

What? You don´t speak swedish?! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Here´s a rough translation, and it is in response to what my fellow swede Thoraby said about him probably knowing which guitar I was talking about:

Yes, that´s the one! But it´s actually orange in real life [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I´ve found a really strange buyer for it, as you might see...I really don´t think my baby wants to end up in his hands [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

* puts his pinky near his mouth and says, "Riiight" *

Comment

Just tell the retarded guy that you want the retail cost of what the guitar was back then brand new. You'll clearly come out the winner! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X