GMW refins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GMW refins

My guitar is a Soloist and it is getting a Rising Sun graphic. No other work is being done, not even reassembly.

No rush here as I know it will be done right. I just was curious.

[ June 19, 2003, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Re: GMW refins

Fretburner, I think you can safely double that estimate.

Comment

Chuck, do you work for GMW? Just curious and if it's none of my business, just tell me to shut up [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Dave->
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Nope, just done a fair bit of business with Lee and I'm very familier with quoted turn around times vs. reality.
        I have been known to be wrong, and I hope I am in this case. I just wouldn't hold my breath on that estimated completion time.

Comment

i'm with chuck on this one, i was told 3 months as well but you know the rest, but the wait is worth it, there work is top notch, second to none.........bla bla bla

Comment

Thanks for not telling me to shut up [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

May I ask why they would even bother saying three months? Is there a "sales" type of advantage to it?

Dave->
            Dave ->

Comment

No, I think Lee really believes the timeline when asked, but...
              You gotta understand, GMW is a REAL small operation. Its not like there is an order department, a sales department, and many departments along the build through paint and ship process. Actually, there is, but all the departments are Lee himself. Its close enough to a one man show to call it that.
              Lee does great work though, and the wait is ALWAYS worth it.

Comment

I agree that it will be worth the wait. By that time it is done it will be like getting a new (to me) guitar and should satisfy GAS. It will also be interesting to see how close they nail the graphic to its original state.

Comment

Oh I see, I actually thought it would have been at least a 10 man shop. Nice to see such a small business have such an excellent reputation and exposure. I guess you can chalk it up to the quality and expertise he puts into his work. Thanks for the info.

Dave->
                  Dave ->

Comment

The wait is painful, but well worth it. And I think Chuck is right. Lee has the best of intentions when he gives you the estimated turnaround time. In my case (neck surgery), he told me 2-3 months. It was right at 3 months when it was done.

Comment

It IS hard to nail a definate timeframe when finishing. When I think about how long it will take, I have to roughly figure out how long it will take to prep the wood, seal the wood, fix imperfections that arise, the finishing steps then atleast 3-6 weeks of curing time before rub out. Then you never know what will happen during the process which can screw things up. Sometimes they go smooth, sometimes they don't. I never asked for a ballpark estimate from Lee as I know its only a very rough guideline. I figured I would ask here and see what he averaged for you guys. Thanks for the replies!

Comment

There is another couple of small rooms off this main room where most of the woodworking is done, and where Dan Lawerence does his paint magic.
                        Impressive set up, yes?

Comment

WOW! Great pics! Thanks for sharing!

[ June 19, 2003, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

Always wondered what Lee's place looked like. Thanks for posting those pics, Chuck!

P.S.- Jim, I've had some work done by GMW, too. No refins, but they took about 5 months for a new graphic'd Charvel replica, and longer for a special order neck replacement (...as it was not a run of the mill job and I told Lee no rush). BTW, Dan will absolutely nail that graphic, and Lee will nail the guitar itself. Well worth the wait.

Comment

Thanks for the pics Chuck! Very nice!

Thanks again,
                              Dave->
                              Dave ->

Comment

Working...
                              X