Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First U.S. Jackson- Pics, Questions.

I get to hang out in here now. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I've had many Jacksons and Charvels over the years, but this is actually my first non-import.

Picked up this little lady on Ebay a short time ago. 1996 DK-1 [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

I also have a couple of questions. My nut is an R3.. was this common on Soloists of that era?

Also, my neck seems "unfinished".. at least I can't detect or feel any.. plus its dirty as hell compared to the unexposed heel.

Was that common? or perhaps the previous owner sanded it?

Re: First U.S. Jackson- Pics, Questions.

DK = Dinky. That's not a Soloist. Dinkys are bolt-ons (like yours), Soloists are neck-throughs.

R3 = 1 & 11/16ths, which is basically Jackson's standard nut width for most of their guitars, inclduing your DK1. Yes, a Soloist would also be R3.

Generally, Jackson's USA bolt-ons are oil finished. So they'll get dirty, like yours has. And it's always going to be somewhat dirty. You can probably clean it up a little like a maple fretboard, but get used to it. And periodically lemon oil it, too. (Look through the tech section for this stuff - it's been discussed many times.) Clean your hands before playing, too. BTW, neck-throughs (i.e., Soloists) generally have painted necks.

Enjoy it! A killer guitar, and I nearly nailed that one for myself. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I knew it was a Dinky, not a Soloist. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Looking back on my post, I can see why it looks like I thought it was one. Du-oh, my bad. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I was just not sure if Dinkys had a thicker neck, as I had always thought Soloists had R2 nuts.

Thanks for clearing that up. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

<<I was just not sure if Dinkys had a thicker neck, as I had always thought Soloists had R2 nuts.>>

I'm probably nit-picking, but...

I think what you mean is wider necks? R2 vs. R3 = width. The "thickness" of a neck is measured front-to-back. i.e., Fretboard to back of neck. And, generally speaking, Dinkys have thinner necks than Soloists. Although there are some exceptions, like the PC1, which is thicker than a Soloist.

People sometimes refer to this as a neck's "profile", although that term usually includes reference to the neck's shape as well as its thickness measured at different points.

Hope that helps. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[ June 24, 2003, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: shreddermon ]

Comment

Yes, what I mean is a wider neck. I have small hands and R3 is just about the limit for me.

R2 is perfect. The smallest I ever played was a Kramer ProAxe that had a tiny R1 nut! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Thanks for the info.

I've had Jacksons/Charvels since 87, but I'm a newbie when it comes to the U.S Guitars. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
          X