Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose trem

Hello,
    Whats the opinions about the F.R. I'm considering ordering an RR1 with a trem. Are they all recessed in the body of the axe? Undecided to trem or not. Thanks in advance, John

Re: Floyd Rose trem

I think they are all recessed, and the RR1 only comes with an original floyd rose. The only other option is an RR1T, a string thru Rhoads

Comment

Sorry, ignored the original question. They are great if you use them or want to learn how to use them. If you really don't use it, it's just more of an inconvenience when it comes to changing strings and it kills sustain

Comment

Is there something wrong with the Tech section or the Search function?!? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Floyds do not kill sustain. There might be miniscule differences in sustain between a tuneomatic and a Floyd, but those differences are only measurable in milliseconds. If you're using distortion, the differences become even less detectable.
          Also, they pose very little inconvenience when changing strings, but they offer superior tuning stability over tunamatic bridges, as well as fine-tuning capabilities that string-through cannot provide. While you do lose tuning if you break a string, there must be something wrong with your technique OR the bridge itself (such as a burr on the saddle), or the strings are too old and due for replacement, if you do break a string.
          If you are not changing strings between gigs, you need to. I've played many gigs with my Les Paul Standard and one Floyded guitar, and the Les Paul broke a string every time (burr on the saddle that I could not quite get totally off), but I have never broken a string live on a Floyd.

And all Jackson's production models feature a recessed trem, though it poses no discernable (IMO) problems over a non-recessed Floyd. For non-recessed Floyds, the neck is tilted back, but for recessed trems the neck angle is less, but the angle of the actual string to the fretboard is the same. Some people prefer non-recessed trems and steeper neck angles because it feels closer to a fixed-bridge guitar.

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

If you havent used em before, stick without them. i had the same question in mind with all the hoo haa surrounding floyds, now i dont even put the whammy bar on my guitar anymore, yeah the effects are good...for the first minute imo. Try em out, see how you like them.
            cheers

Comment

I would go with the Floyd. I agree with everything NEWC said up there. The reason I like top mounted Floyds over recessed, is the hieght of the string to the body. (more like fixed bridge, again....Newc said that [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] )Even if you don't use the bar, you can fine tune while holding a chord.

Comment

I own both an RR1 (Floyd Rose) and an RR5 (Tunomatic fixed bridge). As sacreligeous as this sounds, I actually spend more time playing my RR5 that the RR1. The Floyd is just a serious pain in the butt when it comes to tuning the guitar. It turns what should be a 2 minute process into a 10 minute ordeal. Tune, retune, retune, get out the allen wrench, loosen the nut clamps, retune, reclamp, retune... Its not that I am a trem hater or anything, and all trems will have some of the same issues, not just Floyds, but fixed bridges are just so much faster and easier.

As a side note, I also think the RR5 is a much better balanced guitar than the RR1, and is a bit lighter overall. I have not played an RR1T, so I can't compare that to the RR5, but the RR1 is definitely more nose-heavy than the RR5.

I like my RR1, but prefer the fixed bridge of my RR5 for everyday use.

- E.
                Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

John, you cannot honestly compare the ESP and the Gibson to determine if the trem matters or not. Anyway, it DOES NOT matter a single bit when sustain is considered. I had two Jackson Soloist Archtop Pro guitars, one with a Schaller/Jackson Floyd and one with a tune-a-matic bridge. Same woods, same necks, same pickups, same EVERYTHING except bridges. NO SUSTAIN VARIANCES. If you know and understand Floyd set up, it's as easy to restring as any other kind of bridge. You know what's weird, I actually find a Kahler Pro hard to string up. The ball end always seems to want to pop out even if I bend the string to keep it in the saddle. A Kahler Pro takes me a few more minutes to put strings on than a Floyd. Newc and mulder are 100% correct here. Rock on, bros!
                  "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                  Gotta get away from here.
                  Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                  Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Oh man don't get me started on the Kahler [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    I had a Kahler trem on a guitar years ago and restringing was the hardest part because the ball end kept popping out before I could get it tight, and when I got that KV Pro recently the same problem came back like a bad lunch on a hot day [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    Ya know, I had an idea once to remove those plastic cups and stick in a bar that you'd thread through the balls - I *might* just do that this time [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

And yeah you can't compare an ESP to a USA Gibson - mathematics can't compete with 100 years of hands-on knowledge [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                    Or if you prefer, basswood (ESP) can't compete with mahogany (Gibson). You've also got a scale difference there, correct?
                    Beginners have trouble with Floyds because they are beginners, and I will not discourage anyone from trying them or saddle them up with "but it's just sooooo difficult for beginners". I bet driving is a pain for beginners, as was walking, talking, and knowing when to go the the bathroom BEFORE you pooped/peed [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    We all gotta start somewhere, and if restringing a Floyd puts you off guitar, well that thins the competition [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Floyds do not kill sustain. There might be miniscule differences in sustain between a tuneomatic and a Floyd, but those differences are only measurable in milliseconds.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've had a different experience with that. My esp with a floyd sustains for appx 8 seconds and painfully dies out where as my Gibson Explorer sustains almost forever.

Also, they pose very little inconvenience when changing strings, but they offer superior tuning stability over tunamatic bridges, as well as fine-tuning capabilities that string-through cannot provide.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Now seriously, how perfect and fast did you change strings on your first Floyd? U are correct that they offer superior tuning stability, but for a guy who is new to that it's more than just sticking one end into the bridge and tuning normally. As you do it though, it does get easier.

Don't mean to be picky with your post [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] , but to a guy new to the Floyd it's not as simple as the who's been doing it for awhile. But u were right on with what ya said

Comment

As far as sustain and a Flotd Rose goes. I have a Dean with a floating FLoyd and it sustains better than my Les Paul does. Sustain is a transferance of energy. If there is something to hinder that energy from being transfered that will kill susatin. Things like pickups being to close or too farr from strings, Neck fitting to loose on a bolt on, Harware density Etc. Quality is quality and ESP is not that. (sorry i had too).
                        Floyds are great trems and extremey stable when set up correctly. I have no tuning issues with of my variances of Floyds from the OFR to a JT-6 to a JT580LP. As far as string speed goes. Yeah at first it's gonna take some time to get the hang of it but once youdo its great and really easy.
                        I can restring mine in 5 minutes.
                        Gil

Comment

I also agree with Newc. I have trem/non-trem guitars and sustain is not an issue between any of them.

I find a comparison between an ESP Explorer and the Gibson Explorer pretty weak.

The Gibson Explorer (pre-90, after that they went downhill in my opinion), will sustain for days, this is inherent in the design, the woods used.

The stop tailpiece doesn't really contribute much to that sustain in my experience.

On the other hand, I also have a Dean Z, which is also made of mahogany and is string-through.. it's sustain is on par with my Jacksons, although the Gibson will ring out longer..

[ July 14, 2003, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: 2Loud2Old ]

Comment

I've never broken a string live with a Floyd either,but a couple in practice over like the last 10 years,neat thing about having a floyd if you break the string close enough to the bridge,you can loosen and reclamp the same string in just a minute or so,without having to stretch the string,it should tune right up and stay that way.

Comment

whats a recessed tremolo

Comment

Working...
                              X