Matching headstocks everywhere!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matching headstocks everywhere!

Why do standard USA Select guitars have black headstocks instead of matching ones (except for transparent colors of course). It seems to me that matching headstocks are way cooler than dull black ones, and yet I've heard nobody complain about it since I started following this forum (like a year ago).

I'd like to know who likes black headstocks better than matching ones, because I don't think there are that many fans of non-matching headstocks around. Usually you see a matching headstock on all custom shop guitars and limited editions, so they have to be more popular than black ones. The only place I like a black headstock is on a....black guitar. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

On top of that it can't be quicker/cheaper to paint a black headstock on a guitar that's painted with another color everywhere else. Is there a symbolic/historic reason for those black headstocks. I'm just thinking that if those Fender guys are planning on doing major changes around, maybe this is something they could change as well. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Matching headstocks everywhere!

It's historical. Until recently, almost all pointy J/C's had black headstock faces, except for custom orders. I think that was started because that's the way Gibson does it--Most Gibsons also have black headstock faces. Just my theory.

Personally, I like that look on a Jackson better than a matching headstock--it sets off the Jackson insignia inlays better.

Comment

I prefer black headstocks over matching. It has a bit of a Gibson vibe.

Comment

I think it depends on the guitar whether I like them matched or plain black...white neck-throughs look killer with white headstocks imho.

As for why it is like it is, I don´t know.

Comment

Some of the first Jackson heads were painted black, but they started doing the plastic caps before leaving San Dimas. My SD Concert Student bass had a plastic cap on the head.

I think the headstock should match the color of the fretboard - black for ebony and rosewood, natural for maple boards (that goes for imports too) [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I don't think the headstocks on Jacksons are even "painted" black. I thought they were just black plastic caps. Anyway, I think they look cool on black and white guitars.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

My '83 Rhoads has a painted head. They started the 'black fiber' (thats what most repair guys call it, I call it phenolic) started at some point in '84. The odd thing is that it may have been something they didn't install on every guitar. My Rhoads Student, which was completed 6-7-84 has a phenolic headstck face whereas my Soloist completed 9-12-84 has a painted headstock face.

Comment

Working...
              X