Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hey, Matt, or some other jackson usa expert, i need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hey, Matt, or some other jackson usa expert, i need help!

i have A rr1 witch i bought from Matt 6 months ago or so, and it rules, but my problem is, that now ive havent been home for about a week, and was sick when i got home, so i havent even touched my guitar in 12 days or so... so now i tried to play it, and ofcourse its out of tune, after all tis time just dusting down, but the problem is that i cant tune it???? the E, and A string i can tune somewhat, but the other 4 doensnt even feels or sound like strings at all.. they are so hard, and lies too close to the fret board, and i kant get them to change...in other words,, i need help to tone my guitar.. please no comments, this is my first usa model, and the first one with floyd rose, i never had this problem before,,, so i assume it has something to do with the floyd.
    please help me, i need to play guitar right NOW!!!!!

hope my bad english was understandeble, and you figured out my problem....

thanks!
    [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Re: hey, Matt, or some other jackson usa expert, i need help!

did you check your neck?
    is it still straight?

did you try raising the floyd a bit?

Comment

i have no idea how to do any of those things.... im not realy that big of an expert.....
      think the neck is still stright though

Comment

Are you turning the tuuners on the head? If so, you should be turning the small knobs on top of the Floyd instead, as the locking nut keeps the tuners from tuning the strings.
        Also try raising the high E side of the Floyd with the wrench that came with the guitar. Turn the post that the Floyd sits against on the high E side counter-clockwise about 1 complete circle. This will raise the strings on that side a little.

Also, hold the guitar like a rifle and look along the egde of the fretboard from the Floyd to the nut. The neck probably looks like it's bent backwards a little. If it is, take the trussrod cover off the head and use the truss rod wrench to turn the nut 1/4 turn to the right (from high E to low E). Don't turn it too far - just 1/4 of a full circle. This will cause the neck to bend forward slightly and should take care of any fretbuzz or dead notes.

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

thanks!.. i tried to higher the floyd on the side of the high e string. and i think it worked.... i was to afraid i star screwing on the guitar too much, i know im supposed tu tune it on the flayd, but i also tried to tune it on the headstock too... but i think its working now, il let you know.... my friend sayed it took him about an hour to change the strings on his jackson, with a floyd, so i dont want to break them until he can show me exatcly how to change them, but thanks.. ill try tune it now

Comment

Changing strings on a Floyded guitar is not that difficult. Don't be afraid of it.

I need to change strings on one of my guitars (with 17 guitars, I always have to change strings), I'll take pictures and provide a little explanation... I'll try to get to it tonight.
            Occupy JCF

Comment

awwwwww....... fawk it!...... ill just take it to the guitardealer, and have them have a look at it, they probably are gonna laugh at me, but its easier to teach someone face to face, that over the net... anyway..... thanks for all your help guys.

Comment

There are some tricks to changing strings on a Floyd that will speed it up. You can change them one at a time and tune as you go, or if you take them all off to clean the fretboard, use something to wedge under the floyd to keep it level.

Matt

Comment

ok, now its tuned, or atleast thats whats my crappy tuner says, but it bearly soaund tuned,,, in a strange way... the strings sound starnge when they are open, but when pressed down on 2nd fret they sound ok, 6th string sound starge all the way up to 5th fret.... maybe its me, im still kinda sick, and that affects my ears, so my hearing isnt 100%, but still something is wrong here... i think......

Comment

This might help. Kevin had this on the Jackson website...

Floyd Setup

Comment

Sounds like it may need a truss rod adjustment. A 1/4 to 1/2 turn counterclockwise since it sounds like a slight backbow. It's normal for a guitar to adjust to your climate.

Matt

Comment

It's normal for a guitar to adjust to your climate
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">yeah, when i left home about 2 weeks ago, it was about C 15-20*. now when i got home it was C 30*
                        but you saied something about adjusting the truss rod, what exactly is that? (sorry for asking, but all my otherguitars are easy, ive never had any problems with my sg, or my rr5, but this one is like rocketscience, well not realy, i know the best way to figure things out, is if you try something out yourself, but im afraid ill wreck something on it, it costed me some money, and im afraid the neck would snap, or the floyd is falling appart, some dealers here in norway might know how to fix such things, but i wont risk it if i have to send it to some jackson customshop dude, and pay ALOT for getting it done...... when this guitar is working like i want it, its the guitar of my dreams.

thanks for all the help.

Comment

The truss rod runs through the neck from the nut to the heel. It is used to keep the neck straight, as the string tension is pulling the wood forward. Matt at OSG is correct in saying you should loosen the truss rod (I goofed when I said you should tighten it [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] )
                          Anyway, the wood has bent itself backwards (as is normal) and needs to be bent forwards a bit, which is what the truss rod is supposed to do, so as long as you don't crank it around like a pocketwatch, you can't mess it up [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                          Keep the strings tuned up and turn the truss rod from the right towards the left side, with the logo on the head facing you and the guitar standing straight up on the long wingtip. If the wrench goes on with the handle pointing over your left shoulder, turn it so the handle is pointing at your face. That would be about 1/4 of a full circle (or between 45 and 90 degrees).
                          That should be all you need to turn it for now. You might have to let it sit for a few days before adjusting the truss rod again, as wood does not bend quickly without breaking, and you might end up lowering the trem when it's finished.

Newc
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                          X