USA select Kelly ........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA select Kelly ........

I am having a hell of a time getting intonation set properly on my axe . I`m running 10-52`s and have four trem springs in the cavity . I`ve stretched , trussed , actioned , the whole bit over a couple day basis . The problem is that the G string is at the end of it`s adjustment range and its still 6 to 8 cents sharp . It`s always been this much trouble for me . All of the other strings are spot on . Do I have a bad choice in gauges or what ? Oh yeah , I`m talking Floyd Rose here . Trem is parallel and 3/32nd on the float . Any tips would be greatly appreciated here as I`m about to take it back to Guitar Center to tell them whats up . Just want to cover all my bases first .

Re: USA select Kelly ........

So the G-string saddle is all the way back? That's odd [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Try moving the saddle to the front of the baseplate and then slowly move it backwards, and recheck your intonation.

If I were you I'd see if the JCF guys could figure it out, and if they couldn't, I would return the guitar

Comment

Stupid question time. Are you sure you have the saddle back far enough? There are three screw holes in the base plate for each saddle for intonation lockdown. That should be plenty. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Aside from all that, there is an inherent design flaw in all guitars that makes it impossible to get truly perfect intonation.
        Which note is sharp - the 12 fretted note? I thought that meant you had to come forward on the saddle? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
        Get one of those Key things - they rock.

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Newc:
          Which note is sharp - the 12 fretted note? I thought that meant you had to come forward on the saddle?
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If the fretted 12th fret note is sharp,the string is too short. You would have to lengthen it by moving the saddle back.
          Scott
          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

"If the fretted 12th fret note is sharp,the string is too short. You would have to lengthen it by moving the saddle back."
            Stuka is correct.

Also, how high is the action? Maybe try lowering the bridge a little, as that will make help with the intonation as well. I had that problem on my Fender hardtail bridge; the low E string saddle was back as far as it could go and it was still a little sharp. Lowering the saddle definitely helped it, as the action was a little high at the time anyway.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah the G saddle is far enough to use the third hole and will bind the fine tuner if I go beyond that ( I tried ) . My action is around 13 thou , at the 9th with the 17th fretted. They are D`addario 10 -52`s if it makes a difference. I`m sharp with the fretted 12th G 6 cents at full saddle reach . For example , my harmonic says 3 flat solid , the fretted will go 3 sharp and it`s been this way every time on the G . Flat harmonic chases sharp fretted all the way to the boundry of the saddle . I`m good on all the other five strings . Is this axe handicapped or is it me ?

Comment

Working...
              X