Jackson SL2HT vs Jackson SLATQH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson SL2HT vs Jackson SLATQH

Could somebody explain the differences in tone and playability you'd expect in these two guitars? Based on specs I see that here are the main differences:

* 24 Jumbo frets vs 22 for the SLA
    * Alder/maple top vs Mahogany with 3/4 maple top for the SLA
    * Neck pickup: Seymour Duncan Shin humbucker vs Jazz for the SLA

Now I'd love to try each of these and figure it out for myself, but there's just no chance of that -- I've only seen black SL1s for months around my area.

I'm looking for a nice compliment to my black SG. It's got the great Gibson tone that works for all my hard rock needs. Now I'm looking for that quintisential Jackson experience -- more brutal attack for my metal tendancies, the playability factor, the neck access, etc.

I basically see the SG and one of these SL options as my 1-2 punch in a thunder and lightning attack.

Which one makes more sense? The SL2HT or the SLATQH? Or is there really no difference.

This is all understanding that I can't get my hands on an SL1 for a reasonable price and that I'm unwilling to go to the SL3 or SLSMG.

Thanks.

Re: Jackson SL2HT vs Jackson SLATQH

Anyone?

Somebody must have some opinions here?

Comment

Unfortunately I've not been able to play either one. Having said that, I would lean towards the SLATQH. I prefer mahogany/maple over alder/maple and I never go above the 22nd fret. I think that the SL2HT would have a little more snap to it and the SLATQH should be a little smoother (That's based on the tone woods) and I prefer smooth over snap.

Comment

There pretty similar...I have both. You could definately notice the shorter scale on SLATQH and it feel smaller. Other than that they sound close..maybe a little deeper on the SLAtQH but I stuck Gibson B-buckers outta of a 04 LP Standard into the SL2HT and it smothered it doen a smidge. The SLATQH neck is a little thinner but, it seems like a crap-shoot sometimes on how your neck is gonna be these days..thicker, thinner you get what they make. I like them both about the same...fine.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played both. I preferred the SLATQH. Now before you get all fired up on my opinion, a little background on me...I've only recently started learning the guitar. Actually I've been trying to learn for about 16 years now [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] but have only recently been serious about it...whatever that means. I was lucky enough to be in Denver for a couple of weeks (almost two years ago) and went down to Drum City Guitarland and Jason hooked me up with a SLATQ to fiddle around with. I felt dumb as there were these 15, 16 year olds absolutely shredding on a Warrior, and here I am in a corner doing practice drills on a SLATQH. When I go into a guitar shop, I do my practice drills on the guitars. The SLATQ and SLS have been the easiest to do them on. That's my $0.02 FWIW (um $0.02 I guess [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img])

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            [ QUOTE ]
            Anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played both. I preferred the SLATQH. Now before you get all fired up on my opinion, a little background on me...I've only recently started learning the guitar. Actually I've been trying to learn for about 16 years now [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] but have only recently been serious about it...whatever that means. I was lucky enough to be in Denver for a couple of weeks (almost two years ago) and went down to Drum City Guitarland and Jason hooked me up with a SLATQ to fiddle around with. I felt dumb as there were these 15, 16 year olds absolutely shredding on a Warrior, and here I am in a corner doing practice drills on a SLATQH. When I go into a guitar shop, I do my practice drills on the guitars. The SLATQ and SLS have been the easiest to do them on. That's my $0.02 FWIW (um $0.02 I guess [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ]

I should probably mention I was 30 at the time and there weren't fifteen 16 year old guys, the two guys were about 15 or 16. Sorry for any confusion... [img]/images/graemlins/stupid.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              You could definately notice the shorter scale on SLATQH and it feel smaller.

[/ QUOTE ]
              The SLATQH does not have a shorter scale. It's the standard 25.5" scale.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The SLATQH does in fact have a 25.5" scale however it also has 22 frets as opposed to 24 frets on the SL2. The neck profile will not be the same on any two guitars. Out of the three I have, both are comparable in weight , (pretty heavy which I like), and one is a bit lighter. One of them has a neck I find very similar to a Gibson SG, one is thinner and seems wider, and one falls between. I think the necks back shape is the difference and I have also learned over time that the fret dress plays a big role in how you percieve the necks shape. For my money, I take an SLATQH every time...more stout, more solid and it transmits into a more solid smooth round yet biting tone. IMHO they are THE best value in the market today...the quality, the playability, the looks, and most importantly the tone...at approx. 1500/1600 bucks a clip there a bargain....just my opinion. If I were to build a custom guitar...it would basically be an SLATQH with a 24 3/4" scale so again, I consider them a bargain. The SL2's, H,mah, and t aint no slouches either. Close your eyes, reach in the bag and you will almost certainly pull out a winner...hard to go wrong.

Comment

Working...
                X