X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• binding over frets

whats that

Re: binding over frets

It's when the end of the frets are covered with binding. It's a unnecessary feature, but some people like it.

Comment

thanks Jim, but isnt it more work to cut the tangs off the ends so the fret extends over the binding or does the tang actually cut into the binding?

Comment

No, its actually easier and faster. What they do is bind the neck with no frets in it then scrape or sand the binding down in long strokes down flush. Then they take the pre-bent fretwire and snip a small piece of the tang off and install the frets. You can flush up the whole binding area in about the same amount of time it takes to scrape and file 6 'nibbed' frets.

Comment

binding never goes over the frets, its when the frets stop at the edge of the fret board/binding. the binding is then shaped into the shape of the fret end. Gibsons are like that as are early SD jacksons

Comment

Really? I always thought the binding went over the fret ends.. Well, shows how much I know [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

The neck is fretted without binding, just the binding slot. The fret ends are filed flush to the fretboard wood then the binding is applied. The binding is scraped flush to the fretboard between frets, leaving the little pieces of plastic at the ends of the frets. Then the little piece of plastis is dressed like a fret end to feel comfy. It requires a little more handwork to make them this way.

[ July 22, 2003, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

Oh yes, it sure does! You have to cut and trim the fretwire to the exact size as the old wire or you will either pop the binding loose or have gaps.

Comment

it does make a difference, there is less room on the fret & there is a small gap for the high E string to get stuck in, i had that problem with my SG. yes after its worn & smoothed out its not really a factor but I prefer fretends over the binding, more room & no gap.

Comment

Being an old Les Paul guy, I always thought the "binding over fret" look was classier, but it obviously doesn't make any practical difference. And it must make refretting/redressing etc. more complicated down the road.

Comment

Working...
                    X