Question about San Dimas logo's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about San Dimas logo's

Why is it that I see people calling decal Jackson logo headstocks (which are cleared coated over the decal) "silkscreened" logo's? When I hear the term, I think of vintage Gibson guitars where they actually silsckreened the logo onto the finish. Was there a certain time where San Dimas era guitars didn't use decals?

Re: Question about San Dimas logo\'s

Probably to differentiate between the MOP and painted (solid color) logos (black, white, red, green, etc). But I agree, it is kinda odd to call a sticker a silkscreen [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I wanted to fix this post up a little to clearly specify that I am talking about 1983-1986 Jacksons. I took to long and couldn't modify it.

I agree with you. It is odd to call it that. I mean, yeah, your average SD logo had a silkscreen make the logo, but on clear carrier film, not straight onto the finish. I didn't know if maybe there were some experimentation with silkscreened logos during that era that I had never seen. Thats why I asked.

[ July 22, 2003, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

Well then it technically classifies as a silkscreened logo if it was done on carrier film, it just can't be described as a silkscreened ON logo, since it wasn't screened directly onto the guitar.
        Another consideration is that a lot of the SDs had painted headstocks (even black) and not the plasctic caps, so screening onto the head (paint and all) may have been difficult for the screener they were using.

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

The paint doesn't make a difference. They use a screening ink, so it doesn't soften or bleed the finish. When Gibson did it they had black painted headstocks. The black fiber on those started well after decals were brought into use.

Type A waterslide transfer is what they used, so decal is the most accurate way to describe it.

[ July 22, 2003, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

I see.

Comment

Working...
            X