Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinion question, which USA model plays/feels the best??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion question, which USA model plays/feels the best??

Hey...thought I would post a question which I am sure will draw some responses......and I think a lot of us newer guys (like me) can learn from.

For the veterans, which model Jackson USA plays/feels the best and why??

I only have one Jackson, a 99 SL-1......so that is all I have to compare it to....but I must say it is very well made and sounds incredible....to me anyway.

Thanks in advance for the responses, just curious what the "old timers" have to say.

Thanks.
    [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Re: Opinion question, which USA model plays/feels the best??

That's a difficult question to answer because what's MOST comfortable to me isn't to someone else. Having prefaced my response with that, I'll say the Rhoads is my personal favorite. But the Fusion, Soloist, Kelly, Warrior, all are quite comfortable and easy to play. I have found the Explorer difficult to reach the upper frets on. The Warrior is the most balanced of them all. But the Rhoads is my fav...
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

My two favorite models are the Collen Archtop and the Soloist. Imho my Collen beats my two Soloists in every aspect except for top-fret access, so I guess the PC is number one in my book. I have never found a more comfortable bodyshape, and the neck fits me like a glove.

Comment

Of the ones I tried (SL2H & RR1), the Soloist played the best, but I think that had more to do with a proper setup. The soloist was at my local music store, the RR1 was at a guitar center and needed a good setup. As far as being comfortable I liked the Rhoads, just because it put the neck at an angle (classical position) which feels more comfortable to me.
        KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
        I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Well, I've owned a number of USA Jacksons, perhaps about 2 dozen, and the three that played and felt the best are:

Strathead Jackson Dinky

KV Custom

Warrior Custom

Three different body shapes, three different neck profiles, but these are my three most important "keepers"... I've had nicer and more expensive, but these are the ones I'll never part with, or if I do, they're the last to go.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Hedi Klum but I don't think she's a USA Model [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Charvel750 said it right some guitars just feel better to some players and not others. I've had the good fortune of owning and playing a # of USA's including the sl2h rr1t y2kv and my current 2 sl2gx's. I've got to say that the sl2gx's are my favorite to play and most comfortable. That speed neck is the best neck I've ever played. I also like the strat shape better then the rest so that helps too.

Comment

That's a difficult question to answer because what's MOST comfortable to me isn't to someone else. Having prefaced my response with that, I'll say the Rhoads is my personal favorite. But the Fusion, Soloist, Kelly, Warrior, all are quite comfortable and easy to play. I have found the Explorer difficult to reach the upper frets on. The Warrior is the most balanced of them all. But the Rhoads is my fav...
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree, but if I had to pick, it would be my SLATQH. Light body, great neck, incredible tone.

Comment

I have an sl-1 and an rr-1 and let me tell you.. I prefer playing the rhoads much more. Its perfect for me. Ultimately its your choice though man. The soloist is comfortable for both hands, but the rhoads has it beat 10 fold. Despite having fewer frets, the rhoads is a few inches longer than the soloist. I prefer a rhoads to any other. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                  Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
                  The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

My pick: '86-'88 era strats & dinkys with oil finished necks!!

Comment

I'm mainly a riffer, but I prefer the KV's speed neck. Good feel and very well balanced guitar - doesn't leave too much to desire in tone either.

Comment

22 fret DK Dinkys!

Yea, I know I'm in the minority. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I played a new dinky and a new sl2h, and I thought the Soloist was much more comfortable and easy to play.

Comment

Jon, I did the same comparison and I like the Neck-Thru larger rounder neck of the Soloist also so much so that I have a Black SL2H [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] on hold at my local store, just waiting to sell one more guitar [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

I guess it really depends on what type of neck profile you prefer, since in the end, that's all that is left to decide on after you pick a body style.

One thing I have become more aware of recently (noticed it before, but couldn't pinpoint it til recently) is bridge location; while my SL Pro is a great guitar (and the only Soloist out of 3 that really fits me) I find the bridge and neck put my fretting arm at a fairly uncomfortable angle as compared to the V and Warrior. I can't explain how, exactly, because if the bridge is always in front of your belt buckle then the neck will be in the same place every time, but there's something about the Strat shapes that puts the neck and bridge at a different angle.
                              Maybe it's the strap angle across my shoulder [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] ? I don't know - that'll require a little deeper thought.

But if you're used to a certain body style like a Les Paul, then the V shapes will be closer to what you're used to given the proximity of the bridge to the top edge of the body as opposed to a Soloist/Dinky.

Newc
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X