guitar suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guitar suggestions?

hello all, new poster here. i dont own a jackson but i figured this would be the best place to ask this, as i visit here sometimes and everone seems real nice.
    my current guitar is a 150$ Essex and while its ok for the price, its time to upgrade. i was looking at the ibanez rg1570.. http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar...RG1570&color=1 then i saw an esp kh-602.. http://www.espguitars.com/html/hammett_kh602.html
    but im not set on those two. i was looking at jacksons guitar and they all look nice. so i was hoping you guys could direct me on one to look at. there are a few things im looking for in a guitar: a whammy bar, 24 frets, all tuning pegs on 1 side, smooth body no face plate thing, and hopefully normal fret markers. thanks in advance.

Re: guitar suggestions?

ah yes, i have 800 dollars right now, and my birthday is aug 12 so i will probably get a bit more. i want this guitar to last me a while so it should be gooood. also the kind of music i play is i guess metal/rock.

Comment

What do mean by "normal" fret markers? Most Jacksons have sharkfin inlays, although the import Charvels and a few Jacksons still have dots. Other than that, price is going to be the major factor. If you want neck-thru and like the same body shape as the ESP or Ibanez, a Soloist is the way to go. You could afford a new SL3 or SLSMG in that price range, or a used USA Soloist. For less money, an imported DXMG, DKMG or DK2 would be a good choice.

[ August 08, 2003, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: Inazone ]
      sigpic

Comment

by nomal yes i mean dots. the soloists i saw in the musiciansfriend magazine had dots, and thanks for the suggestions i will check those out.

Comment

I'm looking through the current Musician's Friend catalog, and the only Jackson models listed with dot inlays are the JS1 and JS30. My first Jackson was a JS1, and it was fine for me at the time, but it wouldn't compare to the Ibanez or ESP you mentioned earlier. The JS-series guitars are novice instruments. I would suggest that you look at eBay or in shops for used mid `90s Jackson Professional models, as many had dot inlays. You could also check out the current Charvel Traditional or Model A, which are easily as good as the more expensive Ibanez and ESP models. The late `80s Charvels are also very good.
          sigpic

Comment

Well, these aren't normal dot inlays, but they're not as conspicuous as the sharkfins...

The DKMG would be a good choice, and definately as nice or nicer than the other guitars you listed... Check them out here:

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/g...tno=DKMG_Dinky

[ August 08, 2003, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: xenophobe ]
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

You want 'normal' fret markers...Have you seen the ESP! Its got skulls man. Sharkfins look awesome. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

and they do ! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

If you've got $800, you can most probably pick up an early 80's USA Jackson for that - maybe even two if you're lucky [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                  If you have to have dot inlays (for whatever reason), your best bet is a Student model from thr early days. Far from being beginner models, these featured the same elements that the Custom models did, with the exceptions of having rosewood boards instead of ebony, and pearl dot inlays instead of fins. Both models were made in the San Dimas, CA shop, and the Students usually go today for about $500-$600. I've seen them go as low as $320 for a neckthrough bass with original case.

Look around Ebay or here in the Classifeds and you might be able to pick up two Professional series Jacksons, or a Charvel Model model.

You can also check into the Performer series, as they have dot inlays, but you have to watch which ones you get - the 12th fret dot inlays denote whether it was made in Japan (better) or India (crap). I played a Japanese Performer Kelly and it felt solid and played like a Jackson should. I also have a Kelly body from that series and it truly does rock.

Stick around, we'll learn ya a thing or two and you'll have money left over [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                  X