PC 1 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC 1 questions

The PC1 is starting to look appealing to me, and if I can get past paying 1,300 dollars for a bolt on, I may consider purchasing one. I am curious about the "sustainer" pickup, though.

What exactly does it do? And please, no smart a** answers about "it increases the sustain". Can you just fret a note, and it will play infinitely, or what? And why does Phil have one on his signature guitar? What songs does he use it for?

Any opinions on this guitar (feel of the neck, etc.) would also be appreciated.

The chlorine finish is the most beautiful finish I've ever seen on a guitar, and would love to have one in my collection.
    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Re: PC 1 questions

Originally posted by AlexL:
    Can you just fret a note, and it will play infinitely, or what?

Any opinions on this guitar (feel of the neck, etc.) would also be appreciated.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, that's exactly what it does. If you turn the sustainer on, it will vibrate the strings to resonate a note or chord as long as you want. There's an on / off switch for it, a fundamental / harmonic switch (i.e., same note or octave higher), and a knob to change the intensity of this effect.

The neck is oiled maple. No inlays to show off the cool figured maple fretboard, but dot position markers on the side make it easy to know where you are on the board. The neck profile is on the thicker side, and some folks don't prefer this. Not as bad as a Les Paul, but certainly chunkier than most Jacksons. Personally, not my favorite, but I wouldn't consider it bad, either. Certainly nothing that would keep me from owning mine and playing it.

In the current market, $1,300 for a new PC1 is a bargain. Most dealers would charge well above that. It's a great axe, highly recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexL:
      Thanks a bunch guys. I really appreciate the comments.

- E.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I just saw the one (presumably) you are looking
      at. At that price you should jump on it now.
      I have never seen them much under 1500 new.

Mike

Comment

$1300 is about an average price that I have seen. A local store has a Chlorine and a Solar that they just can't seem to get rid of. When I acted serious about buying one, the owner said he would sell it for $1,150. So, see if they will come down some more. Oh yeah, most places still charge extra for the case. Can you believe that?
        And, my PC1 is the best guitar I have ever owned, hands down. I haven't found one style of music that I can't play on it.

Brian

Comment

When the sustainer is OFF the guitar acts just
          like any 3 pickup/5 position switch passive guitar.

When the sustainer is ON the neck pickup is
          setup as an output transducer. The signal from
          the bridge or middle pickup (depending on switch
          position) is amplified and processed and sent to the neck pickup to re-vibrate the strings in a positive feedback loop. When you play a note
          it sustains forever until you stop it with your finger or palm.

There is also a harmonic switch which causes
          the string to sustain at the harmonic (1 octave up).

When used with an overdrive or distortion sound
          it gives a good controlled feedback type sound.

The neck is comfortably thicker (IMHO) than DK1 or SL1. I have large hands.
          For example: DK1 12th fret = .810 inch, SL1 12th
          fret = .850, PC1 12th fret = .890. Same nut size
          on those three.

The neck is maple with a flamed maple fretboard.
          The neck is "unfinished". The fretboard is also
          unfinished so in time it will get dirty. The feel
          is great because of the non-finish.
          My fingers don't stick to the fretboard when bending as they do on my Fender Strat with maple.

The sustainer is a Jackson sustainer but is designed and patented by Floyd Rose. Maybe it
          can be thought of as a licensed Floyd Rose Sustainer??? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I own two, Solar and Chlorine. The PC1 is my
          fav out of all the Jacksons. I also own SL2,
          DK1, DK2.

I've changed the bridge pickup on them. The original Super 3 is good but not enough highs
          for my amp setup. I put an Evolution on Solar
          and a standard Super Distortion on Chlorine.
          The HS-2 in the middle is excellent.

Mike D.

Comment

Thanks a bunch guys. I really appreciate the comments.

- E.

Comment

Thanks again, guys. I decided to go for it. My Chlorine PC1 ships tomorrow.

- E.

Comment

Congrats!
                I like the color and please post some pix wen you receive it.

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Will do!

- E.

Comment

Working...
                  X