First USA Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First USA Jackson

I ordered my first USA jackson a few days ago, a hardly used 99 KE-2 w/ emg 81/89 pickups. It was just shy of a grand shipped. In theory it should be here by friday, i really wish i did priority shipping to my friends house (where i'm on vacation until later today)... I'm an impatient bastard.

I had an indian import and was pretty disapointed, while my friend has another indian import and i wish it was mine, I should be pleased with this guy.

Would putting on thicker gauge strings be bad for the neck since it's probably pretty slim? On all my other guitars i play Light Top Heavy Bottoms... like a 10-52 set i think. The neck on my indian kelly is now warped a bit and i wonder if it's from the strings and increased tension on one side of the neck.

-Nick

Re: First USA Jackson

Congrats on your new guitars! The thicker gauge strings should NOT be a issue. The KE2 has a quartersawn neck for crying out loud! : [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Anyways, don't forget to post pics! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

A 10-52 set is no problem at all. I guess the neck on your indian Kelly has warped simply because it is indian [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Welcome to the USA-club...it´s quite addictive, you know [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Congrats! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Anders
        https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

Congratz [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Sweet!

what color is it ?
            don't forget the pics when you get it

Comment

It's just your basic black kelly. Still looks sharp though.

Comment

Solid Black looks great...nothing basic about it [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

looking forward to the pics [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img]

Comment

I finally got it after a little over a week of waiting. she's nice, very well built. good tone for the few minutes i had it plugged in, the 89 in the neck is ok, first time i pulled on the volume knob the thing just popped off, lol. I haven't experimented much with it plugged in, wont be able to until the begining of next week. Left my amp at a friends house.

Having come from texas to connecticut though she does need a bit of a setup. Has a lot of buzz. I've screwed around w/ the setups on my other guitars, but for the price i payed i figure i'm gonna take her in and have it done right. Sam Ash music wants 60$ for a setup, being how i've never brought any of my guitars in i dunno if that's a reasonable price, or if places like sam ash do decent jobs. so if anyone can give me any advice on where to take it, and how much a setup should run, it'd be appreciated.

I prolly won't be getting pictures for a while, no digi cam, and i just finished a roll of film off from my trip.

Comment

Don't take it to Sam Ash! [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]
                    They are not only pricey, but thier service quality sucks aswell. Take it to a local place/guy. That would probably be alot cheaper and you'd get better service [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dont' take it ANYWHERE yet - give it a few days to settle into it's new environment - from TX to CT there's a lot of pressure and temperature changes, and if you leave the neck alone for about a week it should settle in, and need only a minor truss rod adjustment (VERY minor). My Rhoads came to TN from CA and I just let it sit for a week to 10 days (action was too low, buzzing frets, etc etc) and let it get acclimated and it only needed about a 1/4 turn of the rod.
                      If you adjust it now you'll have to adjust it again in about a week.

Newc
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

And also, it depends on the preference of how low you like your action, a little string buzz isn't much of a deal if it doesn't deaden the strings, and you have emgs, and you're playing with heavy distortion and especially if you downtune.

Definitely let her settle in for a week or two. Definitely don't take it to a local chain. If you're gonna get a setup done, take it to a local luthier.
                        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Well i haven't taken her any place yet, I love the way she plays and sounds though. the buzz is more than i would like, it doesn't pickup on the amp, but it hurts sustain a lot. I only plan on downtuning this to Eb for now, and i'll screw around w/ the tunings on my other guitars.

How would i go about finding a luthier? just call local guitar service places and ask if they have a luthier on hand? (lol how do i even prounounce luthier, i don't wanna sound stupid in person)

Comment

Hey Dude, Great score!! I think what Newc and the guys are saying is, try to take her in to a local shop, like a mom and pop shop. There you will most likely find someone doing setups on guitars that not only knows what they are doing but most likely likes their job and where they work, therefore, in theory will care about your guitar and treat her with respect! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] DON'T GO TO A CHAIN FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I wouldn't let a chain store tech close the latch on the CASE to my guitar boat that holds my guitars let alone touch one of my guitars!! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Seriously tho, that is your best bet...just ask around, maybe some of your other friends that play, or check out a local club that has live music and talk to some of the other guys out there playing, see who is good, who they use and try going there. Here in Ohio an average setup including new strings isn't more than say $30 - $35 on average. So gauge it accordingly. Good Luck dude! Welcome to Jackson USA...please enjoy your stay!!

Be COol!
                            Mike [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
                              give it a few days to settle into it's new environment
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">its

[img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img]
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X