PC-1 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC-1 questions

I'm debating about buying a PC-1. I know the neck is different from most other Jacksons. My questions are....

1) What best matches the neck profile -- wolfgang, standard warmoth, or is it fatter ?

2) Do you find yourself using the sustainers ystem much ?? Can you give me an example of how/when (songs passage ) you use it. thx !!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: PC-1 questions

While I don't have a complete PC-1, I just bought Black Mariah's PC-1 neck, and let me say, it's awesome! It is slightly fatter than the Soloist, King V, Warrior, Dinky necks of late. But it is incredibly comfortable and VERY easy to play on. I mated it to a 1990 USA Dinky body and it has become a cool fav of mine. BM, I couldn't be happier, bro!
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

My Pc1 neck was more like the wolfgang. It played awesome but I has to have the sustainer fixed like 3 times, It wouldn't stop sucking down batteries! I finally got the issue straightened out by rewiring it. I didn't really use it that much anyway, kind of like a novilty. The neck kicked ass though.

Comment

C750's got it right. Think slightly thicker than a current Soloist neck. And maybe a little more "C" shaped.

Basically, the sustainer gives you ultimate note and chord-holding dynamics, and feedback-like effects. Think of whenever you might use those capabilities in songs or when soloing. ...And it can be kind of like divebombing on a Floyd. A very cool capability to have but, if used too much, it can seem gimmicky.

Also, I've had my PC1 for almost two years, and have had no problems with the sustainer system.

[ August 28, 2003, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: shreddermon ]

Comment

Glad to hear you like it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I need pics of it on the guitar, dammit! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

hammer: It's the bastard love child of a Jackson neck and a Les Paul neck. Thicker than most Jackson necks, but also rounder. If you can, try one out before you buy it unless you're not uber-picky about neck shape. I don't have much experience with the sustainer in those, so I'll stay out of that one.

Comment

I had 2 of them, one older one with only one tone knob (which i preferred, the new knob gets totally in the way of the 5 way, good luck trying to make a quick pickup change).

The neck is very chunky, i would say almost a thick D shape, not C, not at all too big, just a bit thick for my tastes.

I thought the super 3 sounded awful in that guitar, I quicky replaced it with a tone zone, and the guitar came to life. I also could not stand the sustainer neck pickup sound. Very thin and nasty. I enquired about having it replaced, or something, but the guys at jackson said its not really a pickup, but a bunch of resistors and stuff, so i was SOL.

The sustainer was a neat toy for about 2 minutes, and then i couldnt find a use for it. I can just turn my amp up and aim at it, and get the same effect.

I'm not ragging on the guitar, which i think is a very fine beautiful instrument, it just didnt suit my needs as much as i hoped it would.

Dave

Comment

Thanks for all the info.

I think the PC1 just looks stunning with it quilt top and maple fret board. I play in a cover band so I thought the sustainer might be a useful tool to use.

I'm in the market for a new guitar and was kicking around either a PC1 or reissue bullseye (can you tell I like maple boards). I know their totally different beasts. I was leaning tword the PC! for it funtionality (sp?). I just wish I could find a PC1 to try [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Terrax said what I meant to say earlier. I also had an older one with a huge neck and I forgot how ****ty the Super 3 sounded! Maybe we had the same one? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I bought the chlorine PC-1 Matt from OSG was selling. I bought it on a total whim, having never played one. I am not a bolt-on fan, and not especially a Floyd fan. Amaizingly, I really love that axe. The neck is a bit thicker than on my RR1 & RR5, and significantly thicker than my DKMGT. Still, it ain't a Les Paul, either.

I actually like the sustainer system. I can play loud at my house, but I generally don't play loud enough to get lots of natural feedback. So I will set the sustainer to act on the harmonic, and set the sensitivity so that it doesn't kick in unless I hold a chord or note for 4 - 6 beats. Then it just adds some nice harmonics.

I say go for it. Mine is quickly becoming one of my fave axes.

- E.
                  Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Working...
                  X