Unfinished Necks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfinished Necks

I really want a neck thru soloist style guitar, but I'm worried if I get a soloist and have the neck sanded that I will ruin the guitar. The paint may peel or crack at the point the sanding stoped, etc, etc. What do you guys think? Once sanded, will the guitar still stand up to time? Or should I look at another option?

Re: Unfinished Necks

Actually this has been done by member with excellent results... I believe there is a thread under the tech section about this ...
    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

I would buy a guitar that left the factory with an unfinished neck, but I wouldn't buy one that had it done after the fact... that's just me, and I play my guitars...
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I've done two of my Soloists with great results.
        If you own your guitars to play and aren't worried about resale, and want an unfinished neck, I say go for it.

Comment

I unfished my Y2K neck and have had no problems. You will be suprised at how thick the finish is on the neck.

Comment

Yah the finish is thick because it's several layers of both primer and paint.

I stripped the necks off of an Ibanez RG 550 as well as the RR-3 I have. Raw necks are definitely the smoothest. Like the other person said, if you're not concerned about resale value then go for it. I haven't had any problems with the RR-3's wood since it's been raw, but the raw-neck RG 550 does bend a bit and have a slightly different feel when there's too much humidity.

Comment

Working...
            X