Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelly Guitar Soft Case?

Hi guys,
    sorry for this seemingly silly question.
    But when travelling from one country to another, do you check in your Kelly with your baggage?

I am hesitant to check in my Kelly even though I have hard case.

Is there a soft case for Kelly guitars available?

thanks for your help

Re: Kelly Guitar Soft Case?

I wouldn't check any guitar through baggage in a soft case. You'd probably end up with scrap wood.
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I could be wrong, but i beleive he wants the soft case so he can take his kelly on as carry-on

Comment

I didn't think you could "carry on" a guitar. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Steinbergers fit in the overhead compartment. When my band played the USO circuit, we used to unbolt our necks and pack the instruments in the suit cases. It was the only way to safely move 'em...
          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
          Gotta get away from here.
          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Last summer I went to Europe, and on each of my flights atleast one person, sometimes a few more, had guitars as carry-on luggage.

Comment

It's not impossible. I say check it out with someone before you board. I would feel safer with it as a carry-on, myself. I hate checking things and I wouldn't really feel safe checking a guitar, hardshell or not.

Comment

Thanks for the reply!
                Anyway, I did not want to check my guitar even in hard shell case.
                I wanted to find out if there was a soft case/gig bag for a Kelly so that I could carry it on the plane with me.
                The couple of years back when I went overseas, I brought my Y2KV with hard case. The airline would not let me carry the hard case with me and I was not willing to check in my guitar with teh luggages. So what I ended up doing was checking in the hard case and holding the Y2KV with my bare hands on the plane throughout the flight!
                Luckily the flight was only four hours!
                Needless to say, I got a several stares from other passengers.

Comment

you can take your guitar on, depending on how nice the airline wants to be... some planes have closets that you can stick a case in. however, with the recent security issues, i don't think that most would allow it, though.

sully
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

This gig bag works great for a KE2: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/.../base_id/45203

Comment

I´d never check in a guitar without a really sturdy flightcase! I´ve travelled over the Atlantic with guitars several times...and I´ve been allowed to stash it in a closet or something like that every time. Sometimes the check-in personnel have started trouble, but if you politely ask to talk to the captain (which I believe has final say on the issue) it´s usually OK.

Comment

I wouldn't fly with just a standard case unless I could take it carry-on. If I had to check it, it would be in an Anvil or Pelican hard case. Something FAA approved, that's for sure.
                        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I see!
                          Thank you so much for your help guys!

Comment

hey,
                            (FOrgive me if this comes too late, but i just wanted to share coz this sounds all too familiar)
                            i experienced the situation you are talking about. I have a KE2 and i live in the philippines. no Jackson dealers here. my sister lives in teh states, and when i gave her the money to go get it, she held on to it until a situation came up for sending it to me. well my mom went to america, and so the best way was for my mom to take it with her. my mom checked it in along with the suitcases and there were NO problems whatsoever. i got the guitar in the as described shape when i talked to the guys in guitar center who were selling it. everything was mint. imo, there's no need to be so paranoid. that's what the airline's job is, to take care of baggages. hope this helps. my KE2 is doing fine in case anyone's wondering....

Comment

oh, and yea i believe you can hand carry on a guitar. in the second disc of Iron Maiden's Rock in Rio DVD, you can see Dave, Adrian and Janick all coming out of the plane hand carrying gig bags with them.

Comment

Working...
                              X