Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some questions about custom shop options

Hello everybody,

I will order a custom shop and I'm not sure about some options. As english is not my mother tongue, it's better to avoid confusion and to ask to the "jackson custom shop doctors" here.

First, what means "covered pickup"? Is there any interest in having covered pickups if I put EMGs in my guitar? Same question with "standard" pickups like Duncan TB4.

"Standard tremolo recess", Does it mean that it's just like a standard soloist and that you are able to bend the strings with the tremolo?

And finally, "custom block lettering under logo". For example, if I decide to put my name, my name will be written on the headstock, just like the following picture? :

I'm almost sure about the answers, but I've been waiting such a long time to order that guitar that it makes me a bit "nervous", and I don't want to miss a thing before it's too late.

I'm waiting for your intelligent answer.
    What do you mean, "I don't believe in God"? I talk to him every day.

Re: Some questions about custom shop options

EMGs are already covered pickups. If you want a regular Duncan or DiMarzio or some other brand with a cover, that can be done... just think of a Gibson-type pickup with a gold or chrome cover instead of the pole pieces exposed like regular passive pickups.

Tremolo recess is what most guitars have nowadays... it allows you to pull up farther on the bar to make notes sharp. If you get a non-recessed Floyd that usually sits on the body (like EVH uses), then you won't be able to pull up. You can pull up a little bit on it if you have it up higher and floating off the body, just not as much as the recessed version. Also, since the recess puts the trem system closer to the body, the neck will be straighter. Non-recessed Floyds have tilted back neck angles to allow the bridge to sit farther away from the body for better action.

As for the block lettering under the logo, I'm not really too sure.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

What would your custom block lettering say?
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by SLY:
        And finally, "custom block lettering under logo". For example, if I decide to put my name, my name will be written on the headstock, just like the following picture?
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
        Originally posted by RacerX:
        What would your custom block lettering say?
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Maybe it would say "read my post a little closer". [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

I wanted to know the exact lettering, Alex! [img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img]

Like, would it say "SLY" or what?
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I would put my real name : "sylvain lemaire". More french than that, you die! I didn't want to put my name on the guitar at first bacause I felt like it was a bit "showy", but finally, I don't care about what people could think, because I ****'em all. After all, I worked hard the guitar, and I worked hard to pay it so I deserve this little distinction [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] .
            What do you mean, "I don't believe in God"? I talk to him every day.

Comment

I´ve always thought that any additional writing on the headstock kinda makes it look crowded, especially if you have both the customshop-logo and your name like Rusty has. But don´t listen to me...follow your heart, Sly [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

"If you get a non-recessed Floyd that usually sits on the body (like EVH uses), then you won't be able to pull up."

That's not true. With a non-recessed Floyd, the trem sits much higher off the body (nearly as high as a TOM bridge), and there is still ample room to pull up, just not as much. I like non-recessed for the fact I find it easier to articulate palm muting varaiations.

You can also have a non-recessed Floyd back routed for greater pull-ups, which is something that was common on their guitars from around 89 on the 3DR and was used until 91 or 92 when they went to a fully recessed trem (which really doesn't have much more room for pull ups than a standard non-recessed floyd).

[ October 01, 2003, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: xenophobe ]
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe:
                  "If you get a non-recessed Floyd that usually sits on the body (like EVH uses), then you won't be able to pull up."

That's not true. With a non-recessed Floyd, the trem sits much higher off the body (nearly as high as a TOM bridge), and there is still ample room to pull up, just not as much.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">True, but you can also have it down on the body like EVH is all I was stating. Maybe it's different with bolt-on necks that don't have angles tilted back as much as neck-thru?

Also, as far a TOM bridges, most are up higher due to the neck tilt, but my Carvin has a straight neck and has a Lo-Pro Gotoh TOM that sits very close to the body.

[ October 01, 2003, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

My 1993 Soloist Archtop has a non-recessed Floyd with the cutout, and I pull it way up. If I ever bought an older let`s say Hamer Chapp without the rear cutout, that would be the first Mod done to it, gotta have that pull [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

Working...
                    X