85 Rhoads in need of help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 85 Rhoads in need of help!

I have a beautyful 85 Rhoads SN-RR1525 in despirate need of help. I found this guitar lurking in a pawn shop in West Virginia and had to have it. I got for a mere 300 bucks with matching hardcase.

The problem is, someone has done a really crappy airbrush job on it. Dont get me wrong it looks like good work, and the rebel flag isnt bad, but its not factory and I really want to have it refinished.

I do have4 a few questions about its hardware though.

First: It has an EMG PA2 in it and EMG pickips, could these be stock? The battery cover is on the short wing in the back if that helps.
    Second: The pickplate is made of metal, is this normal for that year?

Any help anyone could offer would me much appreciated. Also does anyone have a list of factory colors for the 85 custom shop?

Sorry this such a lond and strange post.
    Don

[ October 14, 2003, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: RR_1525 ]

Re: 85 Rhoads in need of help!

Huh, I kind of like the idea of the airbrush work!

I don't know about the battery compartment, but yes, metal pickguards are stock.

Comment

Dude, sell it to me as is. It kicks ass. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I can almost guarantee the EMG's, PA-2, and bettery compartment are not stock on that guitar. The metal backplate definitely is though.

- Joel
        RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
        RIP Dime

Comment

I took a few more pics of some of the questioned parts, the battery compartment and PA2.

Comment

I love the graphics!! Jack.

Comment

How can you tell it's not a factory paintjob? Given the year it was made, it might be.
              I didn't think EMG made the PA2 back then [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

well, as far as the paintjob, you can tell where it was just sprayed over the factory paint. It has creases in the paint where it was sprayed and you can see overspray on the sides where the new clearcoat doesnt match up.

I called EMG and the pa2 was around as far back as th mid 80's but no way to tell for sure.

Comment

Judging by the pic of the battery compartment I'd say the EMGs & the hole for the battery access were added unfortunately,plus I don't think Jackson did battery compartments then,BUT,great buy on a very cool axe bro,a little restoration & you've got an awesome RR!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Chucksplatter

Comment

I really love the way it sounds with EMGs and the PA2 so I dont figure Ill change those anyway, but it will defintely get refinished, now the question is how I want to get it done. Thanks guys for all the help.

Comment

If you can see factory paint under the overspray, just wet sand the overspray off with 400 grit, then follow up with 800 grit and buff it out.

Comment

Well, I just got off the phone with GMW and got a quote on the refinish work, Its gonna run 475 for the custom color work I want done.

Its gonna be Pearl White with rainbow metallics.

It will probably be a few months before I get up the cash to have it done, But I think it'll be worth it.

Comment

hey don, i told ya these freaks could help!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

sully
                          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                          Sully Guitars on Facebook
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks Sully! Your help was definately just what I was lokoing for. Its good to know that there are still real people in the world.

Don

Comment

I betcha Zakk Wilde could appreciate that Jackson!

Comment

Working...
                              X