Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DK1--> Bolt-on Construction and tone....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK1--> Bolt-on Construction and tone....

ok, just because I want to make sure of this but bolt-on guitars do not sustain as well as Neck-through guitars true? in that case if I was to purchase a DK-1 it would not have as much sustain as my KE2 right?

Basically, I love the was that Neckthrough sounds, am I gonna get screwed if I get a bolt on?

I'm just paranoid I think [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: DK1--> Bolt-on Construction and tone....

Not true at all. Bolt-ons can have just as much sustain as neck-thru or set-neck guitars. You're just being paranoid. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

ok, because it's between a DK-1 and a King Kelly as to which guitar I get next, unless I find a Gunmetal Grey King V not from Ed Roman [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

oh yeah, How are Kahler Flat mount Tremolo's? more trouble than they are worth? can they hold low tunings?

Comment

Neck-Thru guitars will tend to have a little more sustain but there isn't that much difference.

Matt

Comment

I agree with Matt. The difference between my neck thru Jackson SL2H and my bolt on ESP KH2 is minimal. If I didn't get the KH2 for such a killer deal I would have considered a DK1.

Comment

I can`t tell the difference between my set-neck thru- and bolt ons in sustain, I think it has more to due with the type of amp, pickuos,etc. I have a bolt-on 1991 Hamer Chapparel Deluxe boomers,ebony,offset-dots, that has an EMG 85 in the bridge and sustains very well, but it seams everything sustains well thru my VHT P [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Pittbull CLX-100 [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Jack.

[ October 14, 2003, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: slayer ]

Comment

Neck-thrus usually sound a little brighter, too.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer:
                I can`t tell the difference between my set-neck thru- and bolt ons in sustain, I think it has more to due with the type of amp, pickuos,etc.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Definitely switching pickups from "powerful" passives to weak-pull active EMGs in my bolt-on KE3 DRAMATICALLY increased the sustain of that particular guitar. I swear, this thing could sing forever if my hands didn't get tired holding the note or chord. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

As long as the neck-body joint of a bolt-on is secure, no appreciable loss of sustain should be worth crying over.

Comment

My EMG81-equpped Kelly XL (bolt on) sustains longer than any of my N/T axes.
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Don't believe the hype, bolt on and neck through are only ONE of MANY factors affecting tone. Look at all the greats who could have any guitar they wanted but instead chose bolt ons: Jake E. Lee, Warren DiMartini, EVH, SRV, Satch, Vai, Vivian Campbell, Eddie O'jeda, Phil Collen, the list goes on and on and on, the beat don't stop till the break of dawn...

By the way, you're debating over a KING KELLY and a Dinky?! [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                    Gotta get away from here.
                    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

ok, the King Kelly is gone, but it's a Graveyard DK-1 at DCGL.................mmmmm graveyard!

so I should be alright with everything eh?

I don;t know, I think I need a Dinky [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Its really only $100 difference between the DK 1 and the SL2's if you're that paranoid about a bolt-on. The only reason I ordered a SL2 over a DK1 was because I didn't want the big bulky neck joint of a bolt-on, on this guitar, and never having a neckthrough I decided SL2. However other than that I have no problems with bolt-ons. Infact I tried a PRS CE24 used, bolt-on, and it sustained forever!

Comment

Ah yes, I love the smooooooth transition on my SL2H! It just makes so much sense. Going from a bulky B/O is like night & day.
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750:
                            Don't believe the hype, bolt on and neck through are only ONE of MANY factors affecting tone. Look at all the greats who could have any guitar they wanted but instead chose bolt ons: Jake E. Lee, Warren DiMartini, EVH, SRV, Satch, Vai, Vivian Campbell, Eddie O'jeda, Phil Collen, the list goes on and on and on, the beat don't stop till the break of dawn...

By the way, you're debating over a KING KELLY and a Dinky?! [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">you can add Adrian Smith and Dave Murray to that list [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] them and their crazy Fenders lol

Comment

don't let the myth change what you purchase. I have both and I like them both but lean towards bolt-ons because I like changing necks around the stable of bolt-ons I have.

to me what I like to do is set the guitar up without an amp...if a guitar sustains and can sing without an amp it will with an amp. Same deal with pinch harmonics and stuff...I hear people say these pickups and so and so amp are good for pinch harmonics but to me if you can't do it w/o an amp you can't do it with one
                              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                              X