Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DK1--> Bolt-on Construction and tone....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DK1--> Bolt-on Construction and tone....

I have only noticed tonal differences between bolt-on and neckthrough basses - guitars sound tonally similar and have the same sustain. Any differences are micronal at their absolute worst (of course, a poorly set up neckthrough will sustain as long as a flea fart compared to a properly set up bolt-on, and vice versa).

If the bolt-on heel gets in your way, you have a technique issue you need to address, or your hands are better suited for the violin.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Maybe so, Newc, but it is easier to erupt into the higher registers without a bulky heel joint. I love my 22 fret Strats and Dinkys, but they are harder to play than my 24 fret Soloists. I can still do it, no technique problem, but it is harder...
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

i dont know any real differences. i think the pickups are a factor. I AM NO EXPERT, but here's what i noticed between my Fender American Standard Stratocasters and my new KE2. American Strats are string thru bolt ons and have 3 single coils. and as we all know KE2s are neck thru with Seymour Duncan humbuckers. the KE2 definitely has the longer sustain. this is the case whether i plug it into whatever amplifier. but this is just comparing two certain types of guitars. most 3 single coil guitars i have tried have lousy sustain. i have never tried a DK1. so i cant say anything about them.

Comment

Like I said, in my own experiences, dont worry about sustain. It will sustain with the best of em when properly set up and everything. If you are that paranoid about it, go with a SL2H, if you have to have EMG's install em in the SL2.

The thing I like most about the DK1's is the raw/tung oiled neck, I wish the SL2h's had that, but oh well.

Comment

Working...
          X