direct mount vs. ring mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• direct mount vs. ring mount

why doesn't jackson make any guitars that have direct mounted pickups?

aside from being more asthetically pleasing, direct mounted pick ups eliminate the need for more plastic parts on the guitar.

i don't understand why they don't even offer it as an option!?!

Re: direct mount vs. ring mount

The USA's dont have plastic rings, they're metal. So ya dont have to worry about more plastic when you buy a USA.

Comment

I also like the look of direct mounted rings, it's not something you see often. The Carvin 7 string has the pickups directly mounted.
      I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Metal rings on USA?

Mine are all plastic.

Comment

Mine are all plastic also [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

The two Dinky Reverses I had and the two Dinky HX models I still have, have all had direct mount pickups. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] EVH swears guitars with direct mounted pickups sound better, but I don't know if I really buy that. I actually like to have the pickup bezels, as I tend to anchor my pinky on it once in awhile.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Two of my USAs have metal rings and one has plastic. It depends on the guitar to me. I couldn't see my Les Paul without them (rings). But my Kamikazi looks great with the direct mounted setup. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

the only thing i don't like about them is when people drill the holes wider to put big fat screws to mount it to the body... wtf?!?! totally unecessary, imo.

sully
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

EVH's guitar is sick. he direct mounted the pickups but you can still see the huge cavities that the pickguard was supposed to cover.

the ibanez RG1570 has direct mount pickups and costs under $1000. i don't know if i could justify spending $800+ on a jackson that didn't have direct mounted pickups. i'm stuck between a rock and a hard place...

Comment

I believe USA's with trans finish have metal p/u rings and solids are plastic.

Comment

i think that if it's a visual preference, that's one thing, but the whole too much plastic thing baffles me... it's not gonna make a difference.

sully
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Well I stand corrected I guess it just depends what finish or model you get if you get plastic rings or metal rings on a USA Jackson.

If your only problem is that its plastic, if its a flat ring just buy replacement metal ones. If your problem is just how it looks, well then start emailing the companies that you want to see em with direct mounted pu's.

Comment

How about plexiglass pickup rings so you get the look of direct mount? Budman, is it doable? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, I have not seen any evidence that direct-mount works or sound better, and plastic/metal/whatever rings do not possess the weight or other physical properties to alter the tone. Since the pickups work on a magnetic field, proximity to the wood cannot be a factor in their response. As for neatness, I fail to see it; the pickup ring covers the tab holes on the side, making a perfectly rectangular shape.

If the plastic bothers you, get some flat metal rings from Warmoth/stewmac and put them on top of the plstic rings [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Wouldnt trust direct mounted pickups, it just seems too iffy...The guitarist in Infernal Method here in sydney was playing his Ibeenhad prestige 7 stringer, at a major festival, and his pickup fell out believe it or not, sound guy was trying to put it back during the show. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                            cheers

Comment

Yeah that would blow [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              Some people like to put their pickups directly under the string (EMG, passives, etc) so with direct-mount you actually have to use shorter screws, whereas with a ring, you can crank it up to the top of the body [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X