RR1 and SL1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR1 and SL1

Hey there. I have been playing my rr1 for a few years now. I bought an sl1 during the summer, and have been playing it since. I am trying to get used to it, but I find the transition between the two body styles hard? Has anyone else encountered this problem? I really love both guitars, and I want to be able to readily play both of them instead of constantly favoring my rr1. I will post some pics as soon as I can. Thanks
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Re: RR1 and SL1

I find it the opposite way. I can play the Strat and Double Cut body styles either way without a problem, but if I throw on a V or Explorer shape, they ride on my body that is very odd to me and find they don`t match my playing style or body well. Jack.

Comment

I feel your pain. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I have a hard time playing strat style shapes at all. King V's are more my style, but I have a Soloist and a Robin Medley that I play constantly and the switch can be a pain in the... arms.

The best way to get used to it is to just play nothing but the Soloist for a while. You'll never get used to it if you're constantly going back and forth. Put the Rhoads in the case for a week and play nothing but the Soloist. You should have a better feel for the Soloist after that. If not, trade it for a Rhoads. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

hey thanks for the advice. I have a curse on me. Whenever I try and sell or trade any pieces of gear, something really really bad happens. Its the metal god's way of telling me to be happy with what I have and learn to embrace it. The soloist is a sweet guitar, and I love having two lightning sky usa jacksons. If I could get my hands on a L.S King V, I think I would die.

Comment

For me, it's the neck angle that is the problem.

After a while it becomes very easy to play a Strat-style sitting than a Rhoads, even with the leg trick, simply cuz the neck is in a better playing position. I prefer the Rhoads, but I've gotten used to them both.

It took 3 weeks though.
          I made a rock n roll sin when I tried giving in to make money, had to turn down low.

Comment

You guys are weird! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I have a Rhoads, a Soloist, and a Kelly. They all feel a bit different, but I have no problems going from one to another.

My next Jacksons will be a King V and a Dinky.
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Self endorsed weirdo here [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

I used to play Vs exclusively (have a King in addition to the old RR). These days I play Str@ts shapes and whenever I try out the Vs again, I find that I can adjust pretty quick. However, I must admit that when I go back to one of the Strats after playing one of the Vs (especially standing up/rehersing), it takes me a while to get used to the angle and the way the Strat doesn't sit so high up (at least I know that I tend to ride my Vs high because you can get a way with it comfortably, while I do not think that the Str@t shape is as forgiving in general). These are the prices you pay to have cool guitars. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

yep. another one here...
                  I have two rhoads style jacksons and now added lately a charvel M5fx, and I simply won't get as used to it as I am with my rhoads.
                  it is a sweet guitar, but I started with a rhoads and played nothing else for years, so I feel a little lost on the charvel.
                  and the neck seems to be thicker.

it took me a week to get my orientaion done on the two more frets neck (I simply didn't know where I am playing at first... it just confused me somehow... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ), another two weeks for the neck position during play and I'm still fighting with the necks thickness.
                  even tho it gets beter and better at the moment... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

so, don't be afraid; you're not alone!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                  tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

I am a devoted rhoads fan. tried a DK2 a few times..and a warrior. nope couldn't stand either one. they look awesome, but not for me.

Comment

yes. I have been playing my soloist for the last few days, and I went back to my rhoads just for old times' sake and I noticed a huge difference. I am getting used to the soloist, but the rhoads just feels so much nicer. I am getting used to the soloist, it will just take time...

Comment

Just play your Soloist and like it you f*cking baby! j/k You should play it more, it's like practice, you have to get used to holding your pick a certain way, you have to get used to where to place your hands, and you have to do it everyday for years to get it all right. The better and more experienced you get the pickier you get, and the better you get at knowing what you're doing wrong, and what will correct it. Try and pinpoint what you don't like about it, then force yourself through the uncomfortability of what you're not used to about the guitar you play less. I have 5 guitars, I get 'em all tuned up, put 'em on the stand and then switch between them all as I play for a few hours, I have them all tuned differently, but it definately helped to find the comfort in each single guitar. Guitars are like woman, if you rub them right, they'll SCREAM! You gotta feel it, you know, if it doesn't feel right, then your doing something wrong.

Comment

Working...
                        X