San Dimas #1843 info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Dimas #1843 info

Hey guys, I know that these are bush league questions but i could use your help.
    Jackson Tele
    San Dimas Plate # 1843
    Gold hardware with gold Kahler Pro
    What year is it?
    I thought that going by the serial chart it should be a 1993.
    I was told by 2 different members that it is either an 87'or an 88' and certainly from the custom shop. How do I tell without removing the neck.
    Also... the volume pot needs to be replaced. Is it date coded? The guitar is completely original and I don't want to mess with the originality so I could repair the pot but it would be much easier to just replace it. Lastly, it has a heavy brass volume knob on it that is held on with a set screw. It looks exactly like the black one on my Sandy Charvel #1863. Could it be original? Thanks bros...

Re: San Dimas #1843 info

It does sound like a 1987 number. The pots are likley not coded as Jackson was using imports which are void of the US number coding. You may not even find a date in the neckpocket..they didn't consistantly date them, but the work order number may give you a clue.

[ October 30, 2003, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

It's an 87-89 era Ontario Jackson. If you pull the neck off the guitar, the date should be in the neck pocket.

The chances of this guitar being fake are relatively slim to none. The only thing you have to worry about is being a parts guitar, but even that's not likely.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I wasn't questioning whether or not it was fake. I am sure it is ligit. What about the brass knob that I mentioned in my first post. Do you think it is original? Also, was a tele a standard catalog guitar in 87 and if so did they have a model name or #?

Comment

They show Tele shapes in catalogs as far back as 1985.

I would replace the pot without worry. They used a rather generic pot in them. If you feel someday this may be an issue, then keep the original in the case. I have a feeling it will never be an issue.

Comment

Hey John, your looking at the wrong column of your serial chart! It would be a 93' if it had 2 zero's in front of the number. Take the neck off don't be scared! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Wish I did... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I realized my mistake as soon as I posted the question. I am going to remove the neck this weekend. A luthier friend of mine owes me a favor and is going to do a full boogie resto on the original neck. Heat,level and polish. It will be mint when I get it back. In the meantime I am going to install a JB or maybe a custom custom in the bridge. I found out that the neck pickup is a Dimarzio HS-2.

Comment

Man... another mistake. It is serial # 1873. I gotta get glasses. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

I see no difference between my SD Charvel knob and my early Ontario guitars.
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

try emailing Jackson.
                    i just did hope they give me good news.
                    I would unbolt it anyway just to check for dates & stuff.

Comment

I thought the neck pickup sounded better then normal for Jackson! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Ray, I thought it sounded much better than the bridge Jackson pickup too. When I installed the new volume pot I saw that it had the Dimarzio color code and that is how I found out. My luthier friend is gonna take 4-6 weeks to do the neck so in the meantime I am going to buff and polish the body and install a new bridge pickup. I am thinking about putting in a Lawrence XL500 or maybe an Air Norton. I will probably go with Dimarzio. That guitar deserves to be brought back to mint.

Comment

Damn! My old guitar is getting passed around like a high school slut at a keg party.

Good luck with her.

Brett

Comment

I hear you Brett. She is almost as slutty as the volcano. Actually, I bet alot of guitars that are passed from member to member originated from your stable. She is now undergoing major surgery and a "nose" job with me so I will have her for quite a while.

Comment

Working...
                            X