Question about Kelly artists...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question about Kelly artists...

One of the guitarists in Overkill plays one.
    Cap from the recent DVD.

I believe it has the cutouts as well

Comment

I like the big black kelly in the middle of toejam's pic. Makes the others look whimpy, I like [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Jack Frost played a Kelly when he was with Jackson...really dude what does it matter if a Kelly is a "legit metal guitar"? Play what you're most comfortable with, if you're playing metal, then the guitar will be appropriate for metal.

Comment

No Flames, Please!

Michael Sweet from Stryper played a Kelly. Well, they were a POP Metal band, at any rate...

Comment

I play a Kelly ... for what it's worth [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Jim, yours is just about perfect! I'm always a bit annoyed with the short distance between the pickups. i had to considerably change my technique when I got my Kelly.

[EDIT] typo. Ron alert.

[ November 03, 2003, 08:17 AM: Message edited by: Ironhead_metal ]

Comment

There are actually 3 sizes of the Kelly. Only the first 20 or so were "original" King Kelly's(or Special Explorer as Jackson called them at the time) and each had the body cutouts. In 1985, they downsized the Kelly for the first time(see Jim Shine's pic above) and did away with the body cutouts. That size lasted until 1990. The current "Dinky" Kelly was made basically for Marty Friedman. At the time he started playing them, basically nobody played them and they were not a production model.

My 1999 "King Kelly"(per the hang tag) was a custom order from Drum City Guitarland along with Brad Kelly's Yellow King Kelly with the cutouts. As far as I know, mine is the only King Kelly/Special Explorer in existence without the cutouts.

[ November 03, 2003, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Greg Crowe ]

Comment

I like explorers and explorer shapes, like the Kelly. I'm lost though... what is this talk about the cut-outs. What cut outs?? All the Kelly's above look the same to me. Would someone be as so kind tp point it out to me, or post a pic that shows them?

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall tone:
                  I like explorers and explorer shapes, like the Kelly. I'm lost though... what is this talk about the cut-outs. What cut outs?? All the Kelly's above look the same to me. Would someone be as so kind tp point it out to me, or post a pic that shows them?
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Here ya go. Look at the cutouts in the bottom and side of the body.

I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Oooooooh ok I've seen those before. Now I know what you're talking about. I always thought since I rarely saw those kelly's they must've been custom shop guitars. Thanks toejam!

Comment

What about the band Odin, featured in that "The Metal Years" movie? Didn't that guy play a Kelly?
                      O-din
                      O-din
                      O-din... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Yep, I remember that. He had an 85-89 middle size Kelly.

Comment

...with a broken/repaired headstock. His was a white pencil sketch graphic, I believe. If my memory serves the guy couldn't play his way out of a wet paper bag either.

Comment

The lead guitarist from Iced Earth plays a purple kelly. I don't remember his name though.

Comment

One of the GWAR guitarists used to play a trans black kelly right around the Ragnarok Tour.

My friend from the band Pessimist and Unholy Ghost, Kell, has like four different kellys. All USA and he plays them all the time live.

I play my kelly on CD when I need a more screaming tone as opposed to a warm tone.

Comment

Yeah the Pessimist band...you know from DC...Did the CD Blood for the Gods...Anyway, Kell is the driving force behind this band. He writes 90% of their music and some of their lyrics, came up with the idea for the nonagon...

I was trying to work out something where he would come up and play on my record, but hes really bizzy right now. Probably best, cause I got this kid who is sick as hell...a bunch of relative unknowns who are ready to slay.

Yeah, I think it was Either Flattus Maxus or Jizmak who played the Kelly. Yeah it was USA and had a floydish thang...

[ November 15, 2003, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: dethritual ]

Comment

Working...
                                X