Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about the Custom Shop's Dinkys and Soloists....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about the Custom Shop's Dinkys and Soloists....

ok, i was looking at the Custom Shop Quote form at the official site today and I noticed the first thing you have to decide is what type of guitar or bass you want. Neck Thru or Bolt on so forth. skip a few steps and you get to choose what body. Kelly, King V, Warrior, Rhoads, Death Angel and so forth.

here's what puzzles me. isnt a Dinky basically a bolted on Soloist? so isnt the body exactly the same?

so if i custom ordered a "Dinky Neck Thru" wouldnt that be a soloist, and reverse, if i ordered a Soloist Bolt on wouldnt that be a Dinky?

sounds weird to me.

Re: Question about the Custom Shop\'s Dinkys and Soloists....

The Soloist body is bigger than the Dinky. That's my understanding at least.
    Facebook - Youtube

Comment

The form is redundant in that example, but thats not the only place. How any times do you need to specify headstock direction?

Comment

no, i think the soloist and the dinky body are the same, a 7/8th strat size if i'm not mistaken

jon

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe:
          They're RELATIVELY the same size. Of course, in the early days, I think both used different router jigs, but am not positive.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think the first time when the Dinky appeared was in the 1994/1995 catalog. The catalog says the Dinky is the bolt-on version of the Soloist.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby:
            </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by xenophobe:
            They're RELATIVELY the same size. Of course, in the early days, I think both used different router jigs, but am not positive.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think the first time when the Dinky appeared was in the 1994/1995 catalog. The catalog says the Dinky is the bolt-on version of the Soloist. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Try 1992, when they were first called Dinkys. Earlier catalogs referred to them as "Vintage Style".
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

BZZZZZT! Wrong-o, Mr. Know-it-all!

In '86, the Dinky was first mentioned as an offical Jackson model, however, it was available as a Charvel as early as '81.

Have a seat.

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

RacerX got

by Chuckracer.

/Master of the obvious

Comment

By '93 the Dinky had become a 24 fret with the same shape as the Soloist, essentially a bolt on Soloist.

Comment

A 22 fret Dinky body will be slightly larger than a Soloist (well, it will be a hair longer, not wider). A Dinky 24 body is just about identical.

[ November 01, 2003, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

My understanding is that the Dinky and Soloist are the same size (7/8 strat). I think your thinking is correct as to ordering a bolt-on soloist being a dinky and a neck-thru dinky being a soloist. It's just the nature of creating a generic form for custom ordering. I'm sure a newbie or two has done just that...ordered a bolt-on dinky, basically paying a custom price for a USA Soloist [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] .

Comment

I had a 1989 "Dinky 24", which was ofcourse a 24 fret Dinky. Was 1993 a year where they made the 24 frets standard on the Dinky rather than the previously more common 22 frets?

Comment

The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckracer:
                              In '86, the Dinky was first mentioned as an offical Jackson model,
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">in catalogs? [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X