KV2 fretsize confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KV2 fretsize confusion

I'm planning on bying a KV2, hopefully soon. I'm used to extra jumbo frets, but the fretsize on the KV2 puzzles me. I know all other USAs come standard with jumbo frets, but the KV2, although on the Jackson site it says jumbo, comes with what some refer to as smaller frets or medium jumbo frets. But I have also seen people refer to them as tall and skinny. I might be wrong here, but I'm quite sure the medium jumbo frets are low and wide.
    Tall and skinny would resemble extra jumbos, only skinnier, wouldn't it?

When I buy the guitar, I would want to change the frets to extra jumbos, unless it comes with tall and skinny frets, because those would be similar to xj frets.

So what frets are one there: tall, low, wide, skinny??

[ November 18, 2003, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: shape shift ]

Re: KV2 fretsize confusion

That is a very good question and point!

its funny to me since i recently got a KV2 SnakeSkin graphic in my inventory from Jackson.

I had just pulled it out of the case to test drive it a little more and came to look at the forum and saw your post.

The KV2 is def not jumbo frets..

I cant say exactly what Jackson would call them, med talls or what but thats what they seem to me.

I can always call my Jackson rep tomorrow if no one has the definitive...
    Im not the King V authority ;-)

Perhaps Kevin at Eastons or Matt's Music know..

Guys??

Comment

I know the KV-1 has tall/skinny frets. I think there have been a few topics on this before - you might want to search on that. A re-fret on a KV2 would be BIG BIG BIG money (bound, ebony & neck-thru).

Comment

The KV2 has what's known as medium jumbos... they're like what Fender, Hamer and Carvin use as standard. Low/wide frets are much lower and wider and were used on some Gibsons (also known as the fretless wonder). Carvin gives you an option to have jumbo or l/w. Normal Jacksons have jumbo frets. Extra jumbo are even bigger and are on some ESPs, I believe.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Despite loving the shape, I have only 1 King V specifically because of the stupid frets. I hate those things. They are very skinny and quite tough to get used to after playing multiple guitars with real jumbo frets. If you don't like skinny little frets, you won't like the KV-2.

I've never understood the marketing on that guitar. Jackson gives it the thinner "speed neck" but puts wimpy frets on it..... makes no sense. Could it have been a Dave Mustaine thing?

[ November 19, 2003, 02:48 AM: Message edited by: Greg Crowe ]

Comment

Many players always love super huge frets but I find that they kind of hinder my mobility around the fretboard. Outside of bends, I'd rather have low frets. But then again I have small hands too so that might play a factor...I tend to like Les Paul frets which aren't the highest.

Actually I remember reading an interview where Randy said he liked really low frets cause he could play faster on them. I'm not sure how mustaine feels about low frets though. Maybe someone else here would know.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Crowe:
              Could it have been a Dave Mustaine thing?
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes. I believe the KV-1 changed to the skinny frets in '98 (based on his specs and the various king v's I've owned). I'm sure the KV-2 is built pretty much the same except for the bridge, tuners and normal control layout.

Comment

I love Jumbo Frets and the Low/Wide frets, it isn`t so much the higth, it`s tyhe width and they are both wide. As for the "Speed Neck", is it the same as the Dinky/Fusion neck, only in a neck thru design? Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer:
                  As for the "Speed Neck", is it the same as the Dinky/Fusion neck, only in a neck thru design? Jack.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No. The DK1's neck has thinner & flatter specs.

Comment

What makes the Speed neck different than the Dinky or Soloist style neck profiles? Jack.

Comment

Do you have a catalog? Look at the neck specs in the back. The DK1 has thinner measurements than the KV2 and, in doing so, Jackson also makes the neck a little flatter, too. I've heard the "speed neck" gets thinner as you move up it towards the higher frets but, based on the specs, it's still likely a little bit thicker than the DK1's. Not "thick" by any means. It's just that the DK1 is the thinnest of all of the USA models. IMHO, it's probably the most similar to a San Dimas Charvel. ...BTW, the Soloist's neck profile is not the same as the DK1's.

Comment

Working...
                      X