Rhoads student to custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhoads student to custom

I have a RR #RR0480. It is a student version that my mother bought for me at a guitar show in the late 80's I have always loved the guitar. I don't play it as much as my stratesq shaped or Pauls as it sits a little strange but I love it. I have never wanted to spend the bucks on a new RR and have not been able to track down any of the special Rhoads models that where made. My question is would I be screwing anything up by sending my student off to be made over as a custom? Is #480 anything special? Does anyone have any sugestion on where I might send this off to have it done?
    Thanks
    Donovan

Re: Rhoads student to custom

I think most guys here would say to leave it totally alone. I don't know how much it would cost to have the fretboard replaced with ebony, and to have binding put on, but I can imagine it would be a lot. I think you should leave it as it is, because it's most likely a rad guitar anyway.

Comment

GMW would be the boys for the job but you may to be seated when you get the quote! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Bad idea. That will probably cost you $600 minimum to have done. I'd sell the guitar, add some money, and buy what you want.

If its a string thru or has a Floyd, I'll consider buying it.

[email protected]

Comment

Bringing this back from the dead. It's comming down to decision time.

Comment

I've got a RR Student also, and have also considered doing this. Know I'd regret it later on, but it'd be awesome to have a SD Rhoads Custom to show off. I really like the personality of the Student guitars though, they are GREAT players. I think I like to play them even more than their Custom counterparts.

Comment

it's your guitar, hence it's your decision...if you'll play it more after the mod, then do it...if not?...sell it and get another...d.m.
              http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

IMO,please don't mod an original San Dimas C/J as there are only so many & once it's gone,it's gone forever,consider selling it & buy a Rhoads Custom!!

Comment

What Chuck said! [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah...I'd chime in with the concensus here. Sell it (or hell...save up) and buy a Rhoads custom, and leave your student exactly as it is.

Comment

Yea sell it and buy a custom.
                      That would be better.
                      Or keep it as is and buy a custom.
                      [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Stain the fretboard (and the dots) - ebonize it ... so it'll look like an inlay free ebony board....kinda like my idea for the None More Black Warrior:

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

You would probably spend more than the guitar is worth to have that work done. You'll also lose the serial number stamped on the original board. It's also a wild card as far as how the guitar will sound when you are done.

Keep it original, most people kick themselves later in life when they change a guitar they have owned for a long time. You can buy a used custom for what the mod's would cost you, why not just look for what you want?

Comment

Working...
                          X