No announcement yet.

Older SL1 vs. Newer SL2H Neck profile ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Older SL1 vs. Newer SL2H Neck profile ?

Again, forgive my ignorance, but I just got that EDS SL1 from Ken (it rocks hard). It's from the 90's. I've also got a 2001 SL2H (Trans Blue - my first Jackson).

The SL2H seems to have a slimmer neck profile, especially in the upper register. Did Jackson change the neck profile on Solists or is there a difference in SL1 vs. Sl2H profiles? I do like the "beefier" feel of this older SL1!

Any info would be appreciated! If I get another (and I'm sure I will at some point) I'd like to go with the beefier neck. Should I look for "older" soloists?

Thanks gang!

Re: Older SL1 vs. Newer SL2H Neck profile ?

Hmmm, I've noticed just the opposite. The 87-mid 90's necks seem thinner than the newer ones to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Crowe:
      Hmmm, I've noticed just the opposite. The 87-mid 90's necks seem thinner than the newer ones to me.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've noticed that with some other guitars with the same specs as well....the necks seem to have become slightly thicker ( nearest the nut) through time (or my hand suddenly shrinks every time I pick up a guitar made within the last 2 or 3 years [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

Comment

I am with Greg. I think they are a tiny bit thicker and more round.

Comment

They seem about the same to me, but I've only been able to play a couple of older Soloists.

Comment

i had a couple of 80s custom shop, they sure felt thinner than a 99 SL1. Maybe it's just me, they felt a little narrow on the fret board too.

Cham

Comment

I have a 98 SL1 and the neck profile is rather fat. I have a few late 80's/early 90's Soloists and the necks are much thinner and more to my liking. On in particular, a 90, has the most hideous graphic ever created yet has the fastest, thin neck I have ever played.
              Tom

Comment

I have a 1993 Jackson Soloist Custom Shop and a 2003 SL2H and can say for sure the newer one has a thicker rounded neck profile, I like them bith. I like from a Fusion profile all the way up to thick LP necks, I just can`t stand Ibanez Wizard necks or anything with very thin necks. Jack.

Comment

First of all, the term "SL-1" was not in place prior to about 1995. So when you say old SL-1 compared to modern SL2H, I'm under the impression you mean a mid 90's Soloist and a recent dual hum Soloist. Having cleared that up, I will give a general breakdown of Soloist neck profiles from 1990 onward. (Prior to that all Jacksons were custom made so the variation was incredible, although, the earliest Soloists were very similar to Gibson's '59 rounded neck and the later ones were slimmer) From 1990 until about 1993 the necks on all USA Production guitars were the most slim and thin in Jackson's history. In 1994 the second phase of neck throughs came in, which was the same as the introduction of the Lawrence humbuckers and lack of active electronics and sculpted body to neck heel. This profile was noticeably wider and fatter and lasted through 1995. By 1996 the "modern era" profile was established and every Jackson since then has by and large been consistently the 3rd phase of neck profiling since 1990.
                  "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                  Gotta get away from here.
                  Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                  Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Thanks Charvel750! That's exactly the info I was looking for. And thanks to the rest of you for your input as well. Is there anything you guys don't know?

-J

Comment

Working...
                    X