A question for those of you with 1985 Soloists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for those of you with 1985 Soloists

I discovered something recently when I tried to use a chainsaw case with an early 1985 Soloist. It didn't fit! After doing some measuring I discovered that my 1984 and early 1985 Soloists have a 1/2" longer headstock than my later 1985 Soloist. Now I am curious to figure out when this change was made. I have a Soloist that falls into the middle of 1985, but it is out at GMW so I can't measure it.

What I am asking for is a measurement from the tip of the headstock down to the treble side of the nut. Allow the ruler to sit straight across and you should either get an approximate 8" or 7 1/2" reading. Knowing the serial # would help too. I checked my Kelly and Rhoads, but those all read different from the Soloists made at the same time, so I am just interested in what Soloists read. It isn't important, but has sparked my curiousity.

Re: A question for those of you with 1985 Soloists

J0253 Soloist Student - 1984, doesn't jive with yours. 7 1/2" from headstock tip to the bottom of the nut.(Kahler)

J2489 Custom Soloist - 1986, 7 3/4"(Floyd Rose)

J3118 Custom Soloist - 1987, 7 3/4"(Floyd Rose)

I think what we're seeing is a slightly longer headstock for the Floyd Rose locking nut.

Comment

and more just out of curiousity:

San Dimas Charvel pointy: 7 1/2"(non-Floyd)
      1990 Soloist: 8 1/8"(Floyd)
      1992 Soloist: 7 3/4"(Floyd)
      1992 Rhoads: 7 7/8"(Floyd)
      1992 Rhoads LTD: 8"(Floyd)
      2 1989 Charvel 750XL's: 8 1/4"(Floyd)
      2000 KV-2: 8"(Floyd)
      02 JCF Rhoads: 7 9/16"(non-Floyd)

Weird!! These things are all over the place

Comment

J0233 still reads 8" and it has a Kahler. I am measuring from tip to the leading edge of the actual nut (not lockclamp), meaning where the nut meets the fretboard. J0419 with a Floyd nut reads 7 3/4" from tip to leading edge of the nut. J0474 is a Floyd and actually reads 8 1/4" (!) from tip to leading edge of the nut. I found these variations before, and wondered how much other examples varied.

Comment

J1282 and J2217 both with Kahler nuts read 7 1/2" exactly. I agree..these ARE all over the place!

Comment

Hi Jim & Greg, #J1168(2 Hum & Kahler)is 7 1/2"!! & Happy Thanksgiving bros!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Chucksplatter

Comment

I'm measuring the same way, from the tip of the headstock straight down to the edge of the nut(Floyd or otherwise) where it meets the fretboard.

Comment

Okay, I was just clarifying where I was measuring. I wasn't implying anything. I find this interesting and the measurements you gave just add to the mystique.

Happy turkey day to you too Chuck!

Comment

Jim, keep in mind too that the "chainsaw" cases weren't all the same dimensions. I could get the "Woody" Soloist into one with no problems. But some won't fit and others will...
                  "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                  Gotta get away from here.
                  Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                  Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Working...
                  X