Has anyone here played a Swee-tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone here played a Swee-tone?

I am considering buying either a Carved-Top or a Jazz'r and was wondering how the necks played.

Re: Has anyone here played a Swee-tone?

I came across a Bent-top once: the neck was unfinished mahogony and quite a bit thicker than a standard Jackson neck. It had a nice feel, but something about the fretboard edges, maybe the lack of binding, felt a little strange in my hands.

Comment

Per Matt, Jackson has stopped building them.

Comment

Easton Guitar has Jazz in stock(I see on his website).
        And I believe Jason at DCGL has one as well.

Comment

Easton Guitars has a couple. One isn't on the site. It's trans black, and the only Jazz'R built with a painted neck.

In any case, they're AWESOME. The necks aren't typical Jackson necks. One pattern is a vintage V style shape, the other is a direct rip of a '58 Les Paul. I wish I could afford one or nine. Low-production, high-dollar, abnormal... yeah, they have 'collector's piece' written all over them. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mariah:
            I wish I could afford one or nine. Low-production, high-dollar, abnormal... yeah, they have 'collector's piece' written all over them. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I just sent Kevin Easton a check for one. He was able to find me a Swee-Tone Archtop that was originally built for Marty Friedman. It has been sitting on stand behind McD's desk at J/C HQ for the last few months.

I sure hope it is collectible since I had to sell a Vetta, a Y2KV, an SL-2H, a Carvin DC400 and a Charvel Import Star so that my wife would let me buy one. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

you go through gear faster than anyone I've ever seen. Didn't you just sell a powerball to get that Vetta? like a month ago? jeez. My newest piece of gear is 3 years old. lucky bastard.

Comment

Fritz, that's awesome! Congrats!!!!! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Is that an archtop or is it just a bent top model? I've always wanted one of those archtops with the triple decker pickup option. [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] How do those pups sound? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] That looks pretty neat with the knobs moved down more and out of the way.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Fritz, that is way cool!! I love the body and the headstock is classy as hell, that would be cool with 1 or 2 Hums. How much do they cost out the door? Please email me privately about that, I know the rules on that one [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Thanks-Jack. [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by the_drip:
                    you go through gear faster than anyone I've ever seen. Didn't you just sell a powerball to get that Vetta? like a month ago? jeez. My newest piece of gear is 3 years old. lucky bastard.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Yeah, I have been blessed to be able to afford all of this gear. It's a good thing my wife has put a restrictor plate on me or else I would be trying to build a collection like Charvel750.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                      Fritz, that's awesome! Congrats!!!!! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Is that an archtop or is it just a bent top model? I've always wanted one of those archtops with the triple decker pickup option. [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] How do those pups sound? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] That looks pretty neat with the knobs moved down more and out of the way.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I haven't received it yet. That picture is of someone at J/C HQ holding the guitar. That's cool that you noticed the knobs. KE told me that was specifically requested by Friedman. The stock Swee-tones have the knobs in a straight row. The model of this guitar is STAT3 or Swee-tone Archtop Triple Decker.

Slayer: They have stopped production on the Swee-tone series, so whatever you can negotiate is fair game. I eventually want to get a Jazz'R with 2 Hums. DGCL has one, but they want too much for it.

Comment

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Fritz, that is a sweet (..no pun intended) axe! Strange PU arrangements on some of those SweeTones, but pretty killer nonetheless. Congrats! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon:
                          [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Fritz, that is a sweet (..no pun intended) axe! Strange PU arrangements on some of those SweeTones, but pretty killer nonetheless. Congrats! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks, Pat. Originally, the STAT3 was not my first choice. I wanted a STAT2H but since they are not making them anymore, I didn't have much of a choice.

Since I bought it though, the STAT3 idea has kind of grown on me. It should be able to get a very wide range of tones.

Comment

Fritz,
                            I had a SLATQH w/unfin MAH neck. Couldnt stand it...80 grit..OK,OK..120 grit. Not sure how the shape compares to the sweet-tone. But IMHO MAH was meant to be finished!
                            >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

I just got it from Kevin Easton on Friday and it is really sweet (pun intended). The neck profile is a V-shape that I got used to immediately. This guitar is no shredder, but the tonal options available with these pickups are incredible. Jazz, C&W, Blues, Blues Rock and Classic/Hard Rock.

The craftsmanship is impeccable. The Mahogany neck is beautifully sanded and feels great. The frets are uniform and immaculate.

KE did me right on this one. He even gave me the option of shipping it back to him for a refund because it had some light pick scratches from being played at J/C HQ. Not a chance! I think that he just wanted to keep it for himself! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X