Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Custom shop King V

Originally posted by sithgt6:
    I don't feel slighted [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] -- I was merely taking part in a discussion. I thought that's what these boards were for. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I never claimed that I had some superior knowledge - I simply thought that maybe, you were mistaken and that's why you were having trouble finding what you were looking for.

No skin off my back.

D>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey, no hard feelings. Sometimes I'm an asshole. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

The Kerry King stuff is slightly different body-wise. The Jackson King V has a different shape. If you stand the guitars up on the wings, headstocks pointing up, the Jackson King V has a bow outward from the middle...like a bow-legged person. The Kerry King shape is actually bowed out the other way. Kinda sagging out to the points... Don't know if that makes sense to ya' or not...hard to explain. He actually has both shapes now... I think those economy KKV's are the Jackson-like shape. A cost cutting idea would be getting a guitar and having the inlay work done later. As well as the finish. The finish itself can be done in layers, just as they did it. The crackle finishes were notorious for getting chips in them in the first batch that came out. The later editions came out with a much thicker clear coat on them, which made sure the different layers of colors didn't have edges, and get nicked. I know a great inlay guy that can do just about anything if you have the picture of it...

Comment

Custom shop King V

I've decided it's time for me to get myself a custom shop. What I really want is an ESP Kerry King Signature V, but they are impossible to find. Sooooo, what I'm thinking, is having Jackson build me a King V with the same paint job as the ESP KKV, and with the same eagle inlays.
        Would they have a problem duplicating the paint job? (its black with silver crackle, and sort of bloody camo pattern over top). What about the inlays?

It's going to be reverse headstock with matching finish, possibly a Kahler, but most likely a tun-o-matic with stop tailpiece. I have no idea yet what pick-ups to go with. I would also like to have the neck and headstock bound, unlike the ESP KKV which isn't.

Does anyone know if the ESP KKV is the same size body as a King V? It looks to be a little larger, but it's kinda hard to tell.

I'm going to try to use the custom shop quote form to figure out what this thing is going to cost me, but I'm not sure if it's going to be very accurate.

Comment

Well, I was right. Because of the non-standard paint, and the eagle inlays, the quote form can't give me a price. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler:
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey, no hard feelings. Sometimes I'm an asshole. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]

Works for me [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

So anyhoo, I'd go with a King V -- I've never owned a V from Jackson, but have played them and they (imo) are smoother & easier to play and hold. I picked up a BC Rich V and promtly returned it because it was seriously top heavy -- and having to hold your neck up to play is a pain in the arse.

D>

Comment

So dont open your mouth [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I know what you mean about the V, cant you call up someone at jackson and specify all this?
              cheers

Comment

I would if I had a phone number! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler:
                  </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by sithgt6:
                  Kerry Kings V is a BC Rich -- not an ESP.

D>
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">http://home.comcast.net/~mrdjen/guitars_050.jpg

2nd from the right smart guy.
                  </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Lovely Explorers

Comment

Wow! That V is killer. I saw a picture of a used ESP KKV about 6 months ago for sale at www.drumcityguitarland.com but it was just plain black and it didn't have those cool eagle inlays. You can email Jason there and he'll probably send you the picture or know where the guitar went. I woulnd't have switched from ESP if they built me a guitar that bad*ss. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I'm curious about when that red/black one was built. I thought Jeff Hanneman's Camo ESP was the first to have those eagle inlays with the SS's, but I guess Kerry had 'em first if that one was way back when he switched to B.C. Rich. Do you think it's possible that whoever owns that red/black one had it custom built from ESP more recently? I've never seen KK play one of those with the eagles on it, or even any photos- he did have a red/black one on one old video tape I have, but not the inlays. I'm just curious- not trying to start any arguements [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

The '95 ESP catalog I have somewhere shows the two KK signature Vs, long before Jeff's model. One is black with diamond inlays, the other is the black/red/gray crackle with eagle inlays. Both have EMG 81/85 pickups and the EMG PA2 preamp booster. I'm sure I've seen pics of him playing it before besides the catalog, but I don't know where.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

There ya go! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] He might even be playing it on the Live Intrusion video. I haven't seen that in awhile, but I'm bored and I think I'm going to dig that video out in a little while and watch it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Me 2! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Wow that's cool! Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have that one on the "Live Intrusion" video. (that's the tape I was thinking of in my other post) but he has one like it with a Raiders sticker on it or something?

Comment

Come on guys. Tell me that isn't THE coolest guitar evar!!! [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X