USA SLSMG Soloist!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USA SLSMG Soloist!

hehe, I hear ya!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] it was rather hard to distinguish the samples of different SD models, the screamin demon was the only one that stood out in my ears as particularly different from the others!

I kind of did the same thing with my Ibanez RG, played it safe and put a 81 in the bridge and 85 in the neck. I love my EMG's, and would definitely like to try the 85 in the bridge which is likely to be my next project!

Now about the passive boost it says at Matt's Music site and I quote:

"Sonics are delivered through 2 exclusive Jackson-design EMG HZ pickups, 3-way pickup switching, and the EMG Turbocharger system which delivers a 20dB variable boost to the signal."

check it out - http://www.mattsmusic.com/Merchant2/...Jackson2/SLSMG

regards,

- Rune.

Comment

I just scored a SLSMG in violin brown that is killer. No boost but I've got a set of 81/85's to go in it if needed. I played it last nite and it sounded pretty good for the hz pups though.

Comment

that's cool! congrats on the new axe!
        I'd have it in violin brown myself...love that finish.

now can you please post some pics!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

- Rune.

Comment

There was only one made with a turbocharger and it went to FMIC

Comment

The EMG-HZs are supposed to be impressive, as I've heard they are direct competitors with Seymour Duncan (as opposed to the Duncan Designed pickups). I'll be getting a DK27 soon, and I'm looking forward to trying out these pickups. If I don't like them, I'll just get another EMG-85 in the bridge and EMG-89 in the neck like my KE3, which already delivers CRUSHING tone.

I'm not too impressed with the EMG-81 in the bridge of my Ibanez RG... I'm curious as to how you manage to like yours. Also, the EMG-EXG Gutiar Expander control that I installed in it, replacing the tone control, doesn't do much for my sound...

Matt's Music's description of the SLSMG sounds a little strange. I don't see an extra knob, nor a toggle, anywhere on the SLSMG body which would accommodate the boost. Oh well. Be sure to post pics when you get yours so we can see if you've got a different style of SLSMG. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Ahhh, Kevin! Thanks for the post. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I was busy typing my above reply when you posted, so I didn't see it. Hmmm... Matt's Music must be slightly misinformed about Rune's SLSMG then... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I have an SLSMG and IMO the HZ's are pretty weak. I exchanged them for an EMG 81/85 set. I just purchased an Ibanez RGT3120 which is supposed to be direct competition for the USA soloists (SL1 and SL2-H). IMO the fit and finish on the SLSMG is on par w/ the Ibanez. I've had my SLSMG for nearly 2 years now and it's a killer guitar. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

Comment

Those neck thru Ibanez's are poopy to me. They have one at a local music store, and everytime I see it, I go, hmmm, and play it, and it's just like, fuck this thing.

the SLSMG is So nice, I want one, but the Japanese thing pisses me off. I am all about putting money back into the US market (not to offend anyone).

The SLS USA makes me mad because it's a hard tail, why hard tail? Why not a string thru tunomatic stop bar whatever. What would be nicer IMHO.

Comment

hey number of the priest,

my RG is a '96 bolt-on w/maple fretboard and I think the 81 sounds pretty good in the bridge, I'm talking metallica/megadeth riffage.
                    BUT when I flip to the 85 in the neck it feels MUCH more alive and has a warmth to it which is non-existant in the 81....SO...I'm thinking, wouldn't it be great to have a 85b/85n combo or like you have, a 85b/89n combo! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

when we talk about RG's, it seems to me that the older they are, the better they are. all about the supply/demand issue. production goes up, quality goes down. a friend of mine has a '90 (I think) RG and it is a beaut!

I've had mine since new, and only now is it starting to feel really good...that's why I like the idea of ebony fretboard on the SLSMG it would probably feel better than rosewood since I'm used to maple! (which is harder than the rosewood on SL2H's etc.)

cheers,

- Rune. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Rune The Axeman:
                      that's why I like the idea of ebony fretboard on the SLSMG it would probably feel better than rosewood since I'm used to maple! (which is harder than the rosewood on SL2H's etc.)
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The SL2H is USA so it has an ebony fretboard. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

My RG is also a 1990 model. Rosewood on maple neck. If I had the EMG Quick-Connect cables, I'd swap out the EMG-81 for an EMG-85 in a jiffy! But, these are the older EMGs, and EMG only recently introduced their Quick-Connect idea (I think), so either I replace all the electronics in the guitar or just swap out one pickup and resolder.

I haven't heard of anyone using the EMG-85 in both positions yet, although it's not a farfetched idea. I'd LOVE that combo if I wasn't so into the versatility of the EMG-89, which is just an EMG-85 anyways! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

For the ULTIMATE tonal versatility, get a custom guitar with three EMG-89s, each with their own volume push-pull pot to split them and activate the EMG-SA within! [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

I can't take it any more I'm going to go buy the 1 at my local GC this week. was going to put some money down on a LP studio I found but this is to much guitar to pass up.
                        According To The Prophecy

Comment

FWIW, The Guitar Center in San Francisco has the Japan-made SLSMG onsale for $489. Over on the Import Jackson forum, it appears that at least one other Guitar Center (Virginia) has the same $489 sales price on the SLSMG.

Comment

If your looking for a good USA Jackson new, Here is one at DCGL.]Violin Brown USA At a very great price It is in the overstock section

Comment

SLSMG's ROCK!

Comment

Damn! That's just beautiful frankencat! One of the LE's with flametops huh? [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Anders
                                https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

Working...
                                X