Y2KV is in the house!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y2KV is in the house!

A VERY cool axe, in bad-@ss black pearl. I'm definitely a Floyd'd superstrat-type of guy, but I like variety in my guitar stable, too. So, right now, I'm digging the string-through V thing. It's been a while since I've had a fixed-bridge axe in the house. The figuring of the inlays is killer! And - surprisingly - it's pretty light for a mahogany guitar. That's a nice bonus. I'll have to live with it for a while before deciding if she's a keeper.

BTW, does anyone know what brand/model straplocks these are (see last pic)?

Re: Y2KV is in the house!

Killer Axe!! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Nice Y2KV there..

Those are Dunlop straplocks on there...they were on all Mustaine sig. KV's.

- Joel
      RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
      RIP Dime

Comment

Originally posted by Joel Drabicki:
        Those are Dunlop straplocks on there...they were on all Mustaine sig. KV's.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks Joel! I'm not into straplocks, so didn't have a clue.

[img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] <- me [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

NICE!
          I wanted one too... in the same color.
          But the timing is bad.

Anyway, Congrats and tellme how it plays.
          I have heard the frets are smaller and the neck is thin.
          I prefer jumbo frets so I have been wondering how it plays.
          [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

No problem bud.
            I can't tell from the pics, but are they the flushmount ones (are they sunk into the body)?

I like the Dunlops a little better than Schallers.

- Joel
            RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
            RIP Dime

Comment

Nice dude [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Kinda thin strings on right now eh ?

Comment

Congrats! I think they are the Dunlop flush mount straplocks. At least thats what it looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyjacksonman:
                  Anyway, Congrats and tellme how it plays.
                  I have heard the frets are smaller and the neck is thin. I prefer jumbo frets so I have been wondering how it plays.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">She plays damn good. The neck is a typical Jackson - wide nut, and nice and thin profile. Actually, after playing her for a bit, I got curious and pulled out an old catalog to look up the neck specs. Looks like the Y2KV is halfway between the profiles of the Soloist and DK1 models. Thinner than the former, thicker than the latter.

Like any flying V, though, access to the upper frets is a little more dificult than a strat body. It's just a matter of the body shape and neck heel. Again, not a big deal IMHO. You've just got to adjust with the little Clapton-esque move of your thumb to the front of the neck. I already do that a lot, no matter the body style.

As to the frets, I prefer jumbos, too. These feel a little taller to me. But I think that's more of an optical illusion than their true profile. I think they're about the same height, but just thinner. That's what they look like to me, but I'm not 100% sure that's really the case. IMHO, not a huge difference. You can feel the transition moving up or down the fretboard a little more. Just a little less "slick" to the feel. They don't feel uncomfortable by any means, though.

Originally posted by Joel Drabicki:
                  I can't tell from the pics, but are they the flushmount ones (are they sunk into the body)?
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yep, they're flushmount.

Originally posted by Bob From Accounting
                  : Kinda thin strings on right now eh ?
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Damn, Bob. You have eagle eyes. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Yep, I put a new set of 9s on her.

Comment

And actually, the string swap just reminded me of something about the bridge: it had a Gotoh stamp on the bottom. Does that sound right? Is the JT390 TOM made by Gotoh? If so, I never knew that. Or has this bridge been replaced? (...Like I said, I'm typically a Floyd guy. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] )

Comment

Very nice!! I also love 9s. 9-42 on 25.5 scale and 9-46 on 24.75 scale. Rock on [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

Congrats! That's a great guitar! I got one myself just a few weeks ago

Comment

Yeah, it's a Gotoh bridge. I've got a couple laying around here somewhere. AFAIK all the recent Jackson ToM's are Gotoh, even on the import. No reason to cheap out on a ToM. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Did you rip through Holy Wars on it yet? I can't believe he is playing ESP [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mariah:
                              Yeah, it's a Gotoh bridge. I've got a couple laying around here somewhere. AFAIK all the recent Jackson ToM's are Gotoh, even on the import. No reason to cheap out on a ToM. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Cool. Never knew that. Thanks BM.

Comment

Working...
                              X