The chrome hardware and rosewood fretboard "cheapness" debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The chrome hardware and rosewood fretboard "cheapness" debate

So, what is it about chrome hardware and rosewood fretboards that make them look "cheap" on higher-end Jacksons? My arguments defending them:

Chrome is a beautiful option. Although it tends to get all fingerprinty rather quickly, I think it looks great. Think of the hot rod cars that have chrome grilles, exhaust pipes, and hubcaps. All that shiny chrome trim. HOT ROD. Jacksons and Charvels were the original hot rod guitars, were they not?

Rosewood is a high-end tonewood used on the some of the finest acoustic guitars. Why not use it on high-end Jacksons as much as ebony? Nobody would say no to sweet "off-limits" Brazilian rosewood if they were given that option.

Re: The chrome hardware and rosewood fretboard "cheapness" debate

Chrome is classic, sleek, cool. Like you already said, it has a basis in automotive esthetics and detailing. If I could only live with one hardware color, it would be chrome. It looks good, no matter the guitar's finish. Solid color, transparent figured top, or graphic. But I like all the hardware colors. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ...Well, except for that satin chrome crapola. [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

As to rosewood, to each his own. It's not my favorite, but I don't dislike it either. It's all good. I like variety. It certainly doesn't denote "cheapness", though. [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img] Everyone has an opinion, though. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest:
    Nobody would say no to sweet "off-limits" Brazilian rosewood if they were given that option.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually, they already are given that option. It's a $75 (list price) option on custom shop orders. Says so right on Jackson's web site. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: The chrome hardware and rosewood fretboard &quot;cheapness&quot; debate

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Oh yeah, you're right. I haven't checked out the Custom Shop Quote Form since Jackson put up their new website design. I thought Brazilian rosewood was endangered and so wasn't offered, for some reason. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I personally prefer rosewood to ebony. It sounds better, and it feels better to me. My only custom Jackson (ordered in '89) has rosewood with (mega-shocker here) DOTS!!! My ebony board guitars just don't get played as much because the board seems too hard, and the tone brighter (could just be me).

As far as chrome, it depends on the guitar. I like black, but when I got my DXMG it was too black (think Spinal Tap: None more black!)...so I switched the hardware to chrome, including pickup rings. Now it looks classy.

Now some guitars do look cheesy with chrome...like the low end imports (X series, etc.), but I think it's because the paint looks cheap. Some of those guitars look like they were dipped in plastic. THAT is what makes the chrome look crappy. Take a guitar with a paint job like a USA Select, and chrome wouldn't look cheesy.

I think a lot of the times chrome looks bad on transparent finishes also. A lot of those tops on the USA's look fake...they're too figured. Add a solid transparent (not a burst) finish and the guitar looks like the flamed maple was put on there with a sharpie. The chrome brings out that "overly flamed" effect.

Oh well, too each their own...opinions are like buttholes...everybody has one.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Chrome is classic. I prefer gold hardware. My favorurite fretboard wood is brazilian rosewood. My Hot Wheels has gold hardware and a brazilian rosewood board with abalone dots.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest:
            I thought Brazilian rosewood was endangered and so wasn't offered, for some reason. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It is, but that doesn't mean it's completely unavailable. Supply is limited, and will continue to get worse. Hence the upcharge.

Originally posted by MD:
            My only custom Jackson (ordered in '89) has rosewood with (mega-shocker here) DOTS!!!
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Oh, yeah. That's another one. The perception that dot inlays are "cheap", too. Total [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] In fact, I strongly prefer dots on strat-ish shaped guitars. And no binding, too. That BS perception is largely a hangover from the late SD-era "student" models that had rosewood boards and dots instead of sharkfins, ebony and binding. Even back then, the difference in price was pretty small. Heck, I like the student Soloists better. So much so, that I custom ordered one like that back then, but with an ebony board. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Many guitar companies have sourced pre-ban brazillian rosewood. My only complaint is that most of the brazillian found today is very dry and light compared to the older dark variety of the wood. I would rather have a nice piece of dark indian than most of the new brazillian I see around today.

Many years ago, the darker the brazillian, the less desireable it was. Lighter, figured brazillian was the most desireable to acoustic guitar builders. Today it is the opposite.

Comment

I've long preferred ebony boards, because I like a bit brighter top-end, and also because they look so cool and seem to feel a bit 'smoother'--though that may just be my imagination. Since I'm an old Les Paul Custom guy, ebony boards just seem 'right', somehow.

As far as the finish on the hardware goes, I think it depends on the color of the guitar. On black and deep purple/blue guitars, gold is the nicest hardware finish as an accent. On lighter color guitars, I prefer black hardware--except for the white guitar/gold hardware combo. But on a red, brown or yellow guitar, chrome hardware seems to be the best compliment.

My Soloist is black on black, but that is the most 'metal' combo, isn't it?

Comment

I'm not a fan of chrome hardware on guitars, either, and chrome on cars screams 1980s Chrysler to me. I know on classic cars, it can be attractive, but nothing made since roughly 1970 has looked good with chrome, in my opinion.

And I like dots, but I also prefer maple fretboards, and the sharks look weird on maple. As for wood, I've never thought of it being inferior to ebony, just another option. But since rosewood is used on cheapo guitars, I can see where the perception would come from.

Comment

Light Rosewood looks very cheap imo
                    But darker rosewood looks really nice

I can stand chrome, but not gold. I like black hardware the best

Comment

I like chrome, gold or black hardware, but I usually prefer black. Most of my guitars have rosewood boards, but I've also got guitars with maple and ebony. I like them all. Though, if it's a dark guitar, I like the rosewood to be a little darker, close to the look of ebony, if possible.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If you look at budget line guitars from pretty much all the big guitar manufacturers, you'll find that most of those guitars have rosewood fretboards with dots, plus chrome hardware. I think that is the reason people think of it as "cheap". Ebony is probably more expensive than rosewood too, thus isn't offered on the cheaper guitars.

I've never owned a guitar with an ebony fretboard, but I like dark colored fretboards/necks. On the other hand - I prefer the smooth feel of a maple 'board over the grainy rosewood, so I guess ebony would be right up my alley. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] But anything will work as long as there's jumbo frets on there. =)

I'm surprised guitar manufacturers aren't offering colored maple boards, since most maple boards are coated anyway. Maybe it would start looking ugly with a little wear?

As far as inlays go, I don't care whether it's dots or sharkies, as long as they're in the right places. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

'bane

Comment

I prefer chrome hardware with the exception of the tuners, I like them black regardless of the bridge or pick-up bezels.. Gold is cool on certain guitars but I wear off the coloring on the Floyds pretty quick. I never had any fading on chrome Floyds but have on black and gold ones.

I like rosewood but actually prefer maple fretboads over both ebony and rosewood. Ebony would be my second choice. I dunno why I like maple...I really never liked it much now I have a bunch and actually pass up on certain guitars if they don't have maple fretboards...guess tastes change over time [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] .
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Most cheap companies use a cheap species and or grade of rosewood. A quality piece of rosewood is very different from its low grade counterpart. Ebony is the same. Most cheap guitars with ebony boards are stained to hide streaks and the wood looks dry.

Comment

It also has to do with what you associate which brand with... I associate fenders with Maple and Rosewood.. I think Ebony would look out of place on one. I associate JAcksons and Pointy stocks with Ebony, while I associate San Dimas era stuff with Rosewood and Maple. Alot of it is perception.

Rich

Comment

Working...
                              X