About a RR Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About a RR Jackson

You know I'm a newbie, Right? Got some questions or advices from you. I saw an USA RR Jackson guitar. It needs some cosmetics fixes wich will be a good therapy for me cause I'm disable though I'm young (got my 33 bithday on Wednesday). It has EMG pickups, Jackson tremolo, and comes with its case. You can check it, so you can advise me rightfully. I forgot the item number but you will recognize it. What do you think? It maybe a good project(with j, is it right Toejam) to me to use my spare time. And the other thing, what do you think about these guitars with neck through body instead of bolt on neck? Wich one do you think is better.
    [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Re: About a RR Jackson

I think there was a thread regarding neck through vs. bolt on, but that's a touchy issue, my friend.

Here's the facts:

1) A neck through guitar will generally have more sustain that an equal guitar with a bolt-on neck.
    2) Neck through guitars are more expensive to manufacture, so they are typically considered "higher-end".

Here's the opinion

I prefer neck-throughs, and I have an RR1T and an RR5, which are both neck-through models. But, I also dropped some serious scratch for a PC-1, which is a bolt on, and a killer axe.

Some people prefer bolt-ons, some prefer neck-throughs. Some people prefer vanilla, some prefer chocolate. But I prefer vanilla, and in most cases, I prefer neck-through.

I may catch h*ll for the following statement, but I think trems requiring large amounts of body routing (like the Jackson or Floyd Rose) lose a fair amount of sustain because of all of the wood that gets torn out. In that case, a neck-through can help you regain some of lost the sustain.

Just my opinion. If anyone out there disagrees, you can be sure they'll let us know! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

- E.
    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

is it this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=33044

That is one that is in need of some serious cosmetic work. But that appears to be all that's wrong with it.

Of course, that very guitar has been on eBay before recently offered by the same seller in a no reserve auction. High bid was just under $500. Don't no why it's back on the Bay.

Comment

I saw that same guitar earlier this evening during my daily Ebay searching.

In my opinion, the only painfully obvious difference between the neckthrough construction and the bolt-on construction is that the neckthrough GENERALLY tends to offer superior higher fret access if the heel is sculpted well. But, look for that thread in the "Guitars By Other Manufacturers" forum to see a very well sculpted bolt-on heel that would offer great upper fret access too.

Also, with a bolt-on, you can switch necks easier than with a set-neck or a neckthrough.

Issues of sustain, tone, perceived quality, and little things like that are miniscule to me. As long as it's a well-made guitar that sounds good to ME, I'm happy.

Comment

I can't believe I wrote "no" when I meant "know"

Comment

Ok, got the thing about the neckthrough and bolt on. Thanks for the info guys, you know what're you talking about when it comes about guitars. But What do you think? Is it worth to buy it depending of the price (there's no reserve now though the price remains low)? That's what I want to know to start playing with a new toy.
            [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, if you want to learn guitar repair/refinishing skills, and the price stays around 300.00 or so, it could be a good project. There seems to be a nice foundation to start with, and that is the most important thing. As long as there are no broken headstocks, cracked necks etc., you should be good to go.

- E.
              Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Working...
              X