Chrome guitars ever made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chrome guitars ever made?

I wonder what a chrome RR1 would look like, didn't Mustaine have one ? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

All i know about fully chrome guitars, is the Fender Mustang and harley Davidson Strats were chrome bodies, hollowed out, so they're lighter.

about satch's JS-2, it wass featured in Guitar World once, and this is how the history went.

its got a really weird history too it. the nickel covered coating wouldn;t adhere to the basswood body.
      with regular use, the coating would wrinkle and even tear.

yeah yeah, so how is satch's guitar still together?
      he uses tape to keep the finish from wrinkling in several spots. once the fissure opens, impurities get in and the finish turns green.

but God, is his tone great or what???
      "its actually delicate sounding, that was resonsive to finger nuance." he can play all the rock sounding solos and phrasing, with a lot of articulation.

he owns 3 of the JS2 Chromeboy. and none of the lucites! but if you wanna search for the holy grail, 6 other proto's got out also. so start looking!

anymore questions about the JS2? i have the old article. Damn, and I had to type all the above out...talk about finger exercises!

Comment

p.s.-satch said his prototype sounds like "...a marshall with the microphone in front of it going into a tube compressor before it hits tape. i was trying to emulate that sound live, and we were all surprised when the chrome coating orovided that extre bit of tone management."-the Master of Tone, himself.

and if i do remember, there was a company that would chrome your guitar, you had tio pay a large sum of money and send the body only. they're services were on e-bay for a time.

-7th

Comment

How's it goin',

I came across an alternative to the tradition "chroming" process that may serve your needs. A company makes mirror chrome sheeting- 10 mil thick. Thin but durable... There is a base layer of Lexan with the chrome underlayment followed by an adhesive backing. I'm considering recovering my drumkit in chrome, and I came across this product in the research process. The only drawback is that you can't apply it to 2 dimensional curved surfaces. The surface has to be flat at least one way. You can check out the product at this site http://www.alsacorp.com/Laminates.html

Hope this helps out...

Comment

Working...
          X