Phil Collen Model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phil Collen Model

I have an opportunity to get a used mint condition Phil Collen Model; however, it does not appear to be the PC1 that is currently listed on the Jackson web site. The guitar I am looking at has a blueish flame maple top, bolt on neck with maple fingerboard, a Jackson locking tremelo, flat silver hardware (not polished Chrome) and PUPS "Designed by Duncan". I am not familiar with this model. Is it like a
    bargain basement" USA model? Apparently, they don't sell this model anymore, because I could not find it on the Jackson site. I noticed that the 2004 PC1 has an original Floyd Rose Tremelo and Dimarzio PUPS. Are the Floyd licensed trem and Duncan Design pups on the older model I am interested in any good? Is the neck quartersawn? Does anybody like/dislike these? Thanks for any help you can give.

Ricey

Re: Phil Collen Model

Sounds like a PC3, which were made in Japan.

Comment

Yep, that is a Chlorine PC3. I have owned both a PC1 and a PC3, and the Japan version is still pretty good. You might consider a pickup change at least for the bridge humbucker.

Comment

Thanks for the info! Is $500 a decent price? What would this have gone for new?

Thanks,
        Ricey

Comment

$500 w/case is about the norm:
          http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=33044
          http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=33044
          I've seen some go for $425, some as high as $600

I have the Chlorine color PC-3 just as you are looking at, and it's a very nice guitar. Very comfortable neck. I've had no problems with the floyd, and have left the bridge pickup stock. My only complaint is the smallish side black dot markers that are harder to see on the darker 'busy' flamed maple neck.

Comment

I tried out the guitar, your right about the small top mounted dots. It would take a little getting used to, but not a major hassle. Thanks to the info you guys have given me, I am going to try and talk them down some more. It is not the great deal it appeared to be...only average. How does this PC3 compare to a SL-3? How much would a PC3 go for new?

Rick

Comment

The PC3 has been discontinued for 2 years, so it's hard to say what they would go for now. But, in 2001 they sold for about $850-999, depending on how good of a deal it was. I bought mine used for $600 in 2001.

Comment

Thanks!

Ricey

Comment

Working...
                X