1984 Rhoads on e bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1984 Rhoads on e bay

i guess my friend has gotten a few e mails from chuck and others about this gtr saying its a 85 and not a 84 and because of someones list of serial numbers it comes up as a 85, well as most of us know jackson didnt keep the greatest records! guys it is indeed a 84, i use to own it and now my friend does, he has the work order to prove it and 84 isnt worth as much as a 85? who the hell said that? and what do you base that on? their all S D gtrs plus string throughs were not a plenty in that day besides [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Re: 1984 Rhoads on e bay

I haven't seen the auction. The neck construction is typically different between 1984 and 1985. Many people prefer the earlier 3 piece neck construction.

PS- I just saw the auction. I have a '85 Soloist with the exact same logo (missing made in USA).

[ January 11, 2004, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

the very early were 5 peice , then 3, they tried to bring it back at the 2001 namm, but not cost effective enough

Comment

started in late 84, finished in 85, and if im not wrong i think it was a 5 peice neck

Comment

So it's an '84 1/2 ! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I never seen a 5 piece neck Rhoads (I am talking neck blank plies, not wood body wings included). That must be cool. By the time my '83 was built, they were using 3 pieces, so does my '84. So as I said, '84 usually has 3 piece, '85 one. I see they still offer it as an option at the Custom Shop.

Comment

who the hell said that? and what do you base that on?
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I said it.. however, I told your friend "TO A COLLECTOR" They are not worth the same.
              I base that on pure rarity of the '84's (already been covered in a previous post) and the as jim state, the neck construction.

Rhoads with sharkies(customs) with a serial # of LESS then 1000 are the rarest and in holy grail status to us Rhoads collector types.

Now, for that serial #..

I'll explain it the same way I explained it to your friend.
              The serial # is 1985. Therefore the guitar is regarded as a 1985-PERIOD!
              The work order simply states the day the order was taken via the phone.
              In all likeliness, I'm sure the guitar was even started in 1984. But that don't mean squat. The guitar was completed, stamped and shipped in 1985. The guitar is not "BUILT" until it is completely put together in it's finished state and shipped from the factory.

Case in point: I had a 1996 Jimmy Page Les paul.
              I ordered in Oct. 1995 because of the rave reviews it was getting and I couldn't find one anywhere.
              I recieved it at the end of the month in Jan of 1996. The serial #, when you decode it, showed it was stamped on Jan 3 1996.. But guess what? It still was finished in 1996. Obviously the guitar was not completely built, stamped, painted and shipped on Jan 3 1996. For all I know it could have waited on paint, or final assembly or whatever. But it screwed me by 3 days!
              That don't sound like much? Look on Ebay at the difference for a 1995 JP and a 1996 or later.. AT LEAST $1500! And the kicker is that my neck was still one of the handcarved ones and the guitar is identical in every way to the '95's.(Not until ORDERS after '96 did Gibson switch over to 100%standard assembly line production of the Jimmy Page LP)

So let me ask you a question XXX.

Do you think it mattered when I sold my '96 JP LP that it was actually built in '95 but stamped in early '96?
              The obvious answer here is YES. It was pristine but the best I could do was $3000.

THAT is the major difference when it comes to the collector world versus the "player" world. EVERY DETAIL COUNTS!

Comment

But don't most of the high-paying Gibson collectors know that the Jan 96 JPLPs were just like the 95s? Surely the potential buyers could tell exactly when it was stamped by the serial, as 1980-current Gibson serials are easy to decode exact dates.

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Newc, who said "high-paying collectors" are "informed" ? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Agreed, but then, if they weren't, they wouldn't be high-paying collectors for very long [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I dunno, some guys got more money than sense. We have a customer who is what you'd call a "whale". This fella drops thousands of $$ a month on vintage axes and amps. Every month.

Comment

But don't most of the high-paying Gibson collectors know that the Jan 96 JPLPs were just like the 95s?
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You'd think so Newc but that is not the case.
                        I think it is a matter of "What if I need to sell this later on and only I know there is no differences?"

It's all about the guarantees when it comes to collecting. That proper serial # solidifies the guitar's place in history and it is pure, undeniable evidence to the history of the specific guitar.

Look at the Charvel collectors who are dead set on #'s matching guitars. How much does a Charvel go down just for missing the neckplate?
                        No neckplate means No way to ever really know the complete story of your axe.

In a nutshell guys, it means EVERYTHING.

Comment

No disrespect to Brad who has one of the best collections out there, but I agree with Chuck's points here (and I love this axe by the way).

Brett

Comment

well my 0009 rr has a 5 peice centerplank is what i ment and in some cases a middel of the year counts hugly! like when pat was at jackson and left in 01, what he started would be much better than some flunky who took over his job, 2 same as when mike was their and left, do you think what he built and started was just as good as the guy who took over for him? Pablo is the guy who did and did a killer job but if a big time problem arose it would be nothing to mike and a big deal to Pablo

Comment

also Brett, can you honestly look at my collection and dont think i dont pay attention to serials etc? i do in some cases and just sometimes i just have to have the gtr and some are so so in collector eyes like my city but plays like a MOTHER!!!!! BTW i dont know if you guys know mike or Grover, but if you talked specifics to them especially Mike they would laugh at you and tell you to have a beer, they will tell you in the early days anything was possible, ontario jacksons with S D plates, etc etc

Comment

Working...
                              X