Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '86 dimas pics & a couple o' questions

Hi guys...

Finally picked up a genuine '86 era bolt-on neck (with maple board!) to "restore" an '86 bolt on I picked up a while back that seems to have a non-period correct neck (more on this later).

Here's a pic of it with the "new" neck:

Despite the worn appearance the neck is actually in very good shape. I think it has a lot of character actually!

Now here's the problem: The screw holes in the neck are stripped. I guess this is more of a Tech Q/A question, but what's the best way to fix this? I seem to recall someone suggesting sawdust & elmer's wood glue, but I figured I'd run it by the jcf pros before I try anything so drastic...

More pics if you're interested:

Headstock:

Neckplate:

Previous neck:

This neck has no inlays and an ebony board, quite unusual! But -- no plastic headstock cap, has R instead of TM over logo, and it's clear coated -- highly unlikely to be the original or even of San Dimas origin! What's really unusual is there are no markings whatsover in the neck pocket area. Any clue what that might mean? Employee project?

Re: \'86 dimas pics & a couple o\' questions

I've had good success with round toothpicks and elmers wood glue but I imagine an actual dowel would be the way to go.

Comment

What was the other body? I've got a few necks that need a good home! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I don't know what body the neck came from... I only bought the neck.

Comment

I wonder when they changed the logo? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] My SD Jackson strat is dated Feb 86' and has the "Made in USA" after the word Jackson with the TM. Did your body have any dates in it? Also that's a real cool looking axe! Mine is White with 2 hums and a kahler. All black hardware and pretty damn mint too.. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

The body is dated 1-28-86.. has to be one of the earliest Jackson bolt ons! She sounds really sweet... can't wait to try it with the maple neck once I get it fixed.

The logos used throughout '86 varied a lot... I have a May '86 with a logo just like yours (made in usa after, TM over). But I have another August '86 with the logo matching this one (made in usa under, TM over). I've seen other '86s with made in usa after and "R" over the logo, though these were mostly late '86 models.

Comment

Toothpicks and wood glue.

Comment

Did the later Jackson necks have no plastic cap? Anybody know? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

The Ontario built Jacksons ('87-'88) I've owned all had painted headstocks, and I've never seen a post-'86 Jackson with a plastic cap (but knowing Jackson I wouldn't be surprised if some exist).

Comment

I have a '86 bolt on here (September 10,1986 body date) with a plastic cap on the headstock. It has the "Made in USA" after the N and "R" instead of TM. I also noticed that this logo is a silkscreened logo, not a decal like the "Made in USA" under the N logos are. I never had a "TM" logo with the "Made in USA" next to the N. Does anyone know if those are decals or silkscreens?

Comment

Thanks Bert, that's what I thought. I have a NOS 86 Jackson neck ebony board without a plastic cap. I am going to build a 1 hum pointy with a NOS Vintage Charvel trem. I have all the parts minus the body. I need to call GMW soon!. I need to raise some more funds befor I call Lee. I had the cash saved, but I purchased a 85 soloist for 500 plus I put some cash into it. New pickups, set up etc.

Comment

Jim, my logo is the TM and "Made in USA" after the N. It appeares to be a decal, I can see a very faint outline around it and also around the made in usa. The Made in USA appeares to be seperate. Mine was built about 2 weeks after Berts.

Comment

Yeah, that is the tell tale sign of the decal is the outline. AMAZING info on the "Made in USA" being seperate! I wonder if the original "Made in USA" (under the N) was placed too close to the edge and ruined and it was replaced on the end. I have a Soloist where some of that "Made in USA" was so close that part of it bot messed up when they cleaned the binding before clear coating. They left it as it was mostly intact. It could also explain why some guitars totally lack "Made in USA" in that era.

Comment

It's funny you mention that Jim! Now that I look at the decal more closely it looks like the bottom of the "Jackson" decal follows the contours of the letters until it gets to the "N", then it flattens out with just a very subtle uneven curve to it. The "Made in USA" has the same subtle curve across the top of it. So it looks like the "Made in USA" was trimmed off of the "Jackson" and moved to the side! Also the top of my "K" disappeares underneith the washer of the 4th tuner! Out of 5 USA's I have with the regular headstocks, all the others have the top of the "K" between the 3rd and 4th tuner. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                            Will wonders never cease! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Jim -- my maple/maple neck has the same issue -- the Made in USA is a tiny bit trimmed because it's too close to the bottom! That would explain why they started putting it after.

Comment

Working...
                              X