Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions about Custom Shop options (long)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Custom Shop options (long)

I'm planning to order a Jackson Custom Shop Soloist, and I am not sure of a few items, so I thought I would request some help, particularly from those of you lucky devils who have ordered Custom Shop guitars in the past. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I am planning to get an archtop Soloist with 22 frets, ebony fretboard, OFR, 1H arrangement (EMG 85) w/1 volume knob. I have a few questions though, so here goes:

Spalted maple top vs. flame maple top
    I love the look of spalted (or "spalt") maple. Also, I'm frankly worried about what a flame top might look like, as I have seen some Jackson flame tops that barely qualify as flame tops in my opinion (I own an SL4 with a rather mild flame, and our local music store has a new SL2H that has to be held at an angle in the light to see that it even has a flame top). I want a wild, aggressively figured top, and all of the spalted tops I have seen have been VERY noticeable, so that seems like a safer bet than a flame top. But it's still kinda scary putting your order in and then just hoping for the best, so anyone have experience with spalted tops?

(Also, I have no idea what spalted maple would sound like, or whether it would make much difference in the sound. Either way, the top is 1/8", and I'm planning to get the body done in Ash, though I would spend the extra $ for Mahogany if I thought it would sound noticeably better. I expect this guitar will sound kind of bright with the one bridge pickup and no tone control, OFR, etc., though I'm trying to tone it down a bit with an EMG 85 instead of an 81.)

Colors
    I want a trans finish that looks basically like natural, but more yellowish and glowing, if you know what I mean. The closest I can think of is Trans Amber, which, oddly, does not appear as a color choice in the list on Jackson's Custom Shop quote form. Here's a gorgeous guitar with the color that I want:

Anyone know how to request this (color name, etc.)? Incidentally, if I knew the flame would be as beautiful as the one in that pic, I'd just order a flame top, too.

Neck
    The form offers "Standard" "Oiled" or "Painted." I don't like the feel of glossy painted necks. I have never felt an oiled neck. I do like the feel of satin finished necks, like those found on new Stratocasters and most other bolt-on guitars. Should I get an oiled neck or a painted one and plan to steel wool it, or would a "standard" neck be satin finished (I'm guessing it would be painted on a neck-through)? Do oiled necks require special maintenance? And if so, what? Are they less protected from humidity changes, etc., than painted necks? I love the stability of my SL4 necks, which are factory-painted, then steel-wooled by me, and never seem to need adjustment to maintain very low actions, so I don't want to lose that, but if I would get all of that with an oiled neck, I'd go that route.

Heel
    I want a scooped out heel like my SL4s have. I think early 90s SL1s had these heels, too, but the new ones don't. Is that the "scalloped" heel listed in Jackson's form? I don't have a pic of this handy; I hope you know what I mean.

Headstock
    I'm not crazy about the normal "Custom Shop" script. I like the "Custom Shop" writing used on the headstock of this guitar from an '04 NAMM pic much better:

Can something like that be requested, and if so, how?

I also have a couple more odd requests, e.g., I'd like the output jack to be done like a Hamer Californian (Strat-style jack mounted on the back edge of the guitar pointing up, near the rear strap button), and possibly some unique inlays. I guess you ask for these things of your dealer, who acts as an intermediary and tells you what Jackson will/won't do, and how much? Or do you get to talk to someone at Jackson once your order is placed? I'm probably only to get to do this once, so I want to get it right.

Thanks for any help you can give! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Questions about Custom Shop options (long)

Maple top figuring is graded. Look into maple grades available from Jackson and expect to pay a premium for a highly figured top.

Comment

The only thing Jackson won't do are Strat heads and Gibson bodies. If you want a football jack on the head, toggle switch in the trem cavity, and knobs between the pickups, they'll do it like you ask.

Custom Shop flametops rock compared to production flame tops. All the CS flametops I've seen were beautiful - almost all the production flametops I've seen sucked.

Oiled and Satin are pretty close.
      "Standard" is whatever's the standard for the model-type you're ordering (i.e. SL1 gets a gloss painted neck, DK-1 gets an oiled neck).

You can specify the text style for the Custom Shop logo.

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
        football jack on the head, toggle switch in the trem cavity, and knobs between the pickups, they'll do it like you ask.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Ideas for your next mutant creation, Newc? [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Cool!! I love the EMG 85 in the bridge. Are you getting 24.75 or 25.5 scale with the 22 frets? jack.

Comment

Actually, I'm trying to decide on that right now. I would think 24.75" would be better, offering easier reaches and string bending, but so far, I am finding that my 24.75" Peavey V-Type is not as comfortable to play as my 25.5" Jackson SL4. I don't think that's due to the scale length, though. I think it's because the SL4 has a thinner neck and that big scooped out neck joint that I love.

Comment

Are you wanting a maple top just for looks only or do you want it to affect your sound? If it's real thin veneer like 1/8" or 1/4", it's not going to affect the sound. If you want it to add a little brightness, you'd have to get the top like 1/2", 3/8" or thicker.

As for the neck finish, oil is a satin finish that needs maintenance every couple years... you'll need to apply more tung oil, gunstock oil, or whatever oil they applied to it. High gloss finish is what you get over a painted neck. Matte satin is closer to oiled but, like the high gloss, it does not need maintenance. Over time, the matte satin can get glossy from your hand moving over it, and you can just steel wool it back to matte like you're doing now on your regular guitar.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
                Custom Shop flametops rock compared to production flame tops. All the CS flametops I've seen were beautiful - almost all the production flametops I've seen sucked.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Does this also apply to quilted maple tops??
                Just curious, because I ordered a custom guitar at Matt's Music some weeks ago -> with a quilted maple top [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Are you wanting a maple top just for looks only or do you want it to affect your sound? If it's real thin veneer like 1/8" or 1/4", it's not going to affect the sound. If you want it to add a little brightness, you'd have to get the top like 1/2", 3/8" or thicker.

I just want it for looks. I will probably go with the 1/8" top. I am actually thinking of going with a spalted maple top at this point, though I see that Warmoth won't do a spalted top unless the body is flat and has binding, so I don't know whether it's doable or not, since I want an archtop with no body binding. Come to think of it, I have never actually seen a spalted maple top archtop Soloist. I guess I'll have to see if Jackson will do it.

Thanks for the info. I will probably go for the oiled neck, too. Adding a little oil every couple of years sounds okay.

Comment

www.brubakerguitars.com

They do a lot of spalted stuff. I know some guys over there and they're very cool and knowledgeable. Ask them about spalted maple and how it affects the tone.

Spalted maple is actually a type of maple that has a fungus. Supposedly it's pretty fragile.

Comment

Working...
                    X