Unexpectedly cool pickup configuration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unexpectedly cool pickup configuration

As some may remember, I picked up a Jackson soloist a while back. It came with the Jackson active pickups. They sounded like, well, like ass. No note separation, dull tone, yada, yada, yada. The layout is H-S-S. I had a Duncan JB lying around and bought a set of Lace Holy Grail's from a guy online. The Lace's arrived and naturally they won't fit in the Jackson because the single coil spots aren't routed to accomodate the lip overhang on typical strat pickups. Argh. So I scrounged around a bit and tore apart a Strat I had and came up with a Little '59 in the neck, a neck JB Jr. for the middle, and the full size JB for the bridge. I wired it with a strat superswitch and a Fender TBX pot I had lying around so the positions are:
    1) JB bridge
    2) JB bridge tapped + JB middle
    3) JB bridge tapped + '59 neck tapped
    4) '59 neck tapped + JB middle
    5) '59 neck

500k master volume, position 1 has a standard 500k tone pot - I'm not sure what the value of the tone pot is - I couldn't read the darn thing in the low light I was working in (or is it that I'm approaching 40 and it's time to face reality [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ). Positions 2-5 have the TBX pot - this works remarkably well.

Anyway, tonewise it's got a great humbucker chunk in the bridge, nice full Strat-ish squack tones in 2 and 4, 3 is a very cool almost Tele tone, and a fat bluesy position 5. Before I heard it, I was figuring I'd eventually be yanking the JB Jr. in the middle for a single coil but as it turns out I'm very happy with it as is - this combo is a keeper.

My Les Paul and PRS are now jealous because this thing sounds so good that I am neglecting them. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

BTW, the Strat is happy because it received the Holy Grail's and they sound great!
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Re: Unexpectedly cool pickup configuration

Coolness [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] I've got a JBJr in the bridge of a 1990 Warrior (with the double-single routes, not the regular square humbucker route) and a neck-position Hot Rails - sounds badass when combined, and I actually like the JB Jr better than the full-sized JB; To me they sound totally different from each other [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    I'm thinking about putting a bridge-position Lil 59 in the neck.

Anyhoo, if you've still got the Soloist's circuit board and wanna sell it, I need one [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
    X