SL2H Neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL2H Neck

I'm considering purchasing an SL2H, but as there are no Jackson dealers around here, I can't try one out first.

What I want to know is the neck shape on them. I really like the shape of the neck on my DK2. How does the SL2H neck compare to that?

Re: SL2H Neck

Alot different!!! The SL2h is thinner and the fretboard radius is smaller. The Dk2 is more 'chunky/fatter' then that of the USA Select series.

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Are you sure about that? I have found the Soloist neck to be a tad thicker than the Dinky neck, even when USA to import is compared. I personally don't notice much of a difference between a USA SL-1 and a USA DK-1. Some here will argue that the Dinky is slimmer and faster. The specs are posted somewhere, but we're talking millimeters of difference, and my big fat bumbly hands/fingers can't feel much of a difference. No matter what though, the Soloist neck profile is very comfortable and fast.
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

My 2001 DK2 was thicker than my 2002 USA Soloist from what I can remember. I do know that they were different enough that I sold my Dk2 because I didn't like it. I did keep the SL2h [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .

joe...
        www.godwentpunk.com
        www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Well...Hhmmmm. I have a 2000 SL1, and a 2001 DK2. The DK neck definately feels thinner than the soloist. I'm not going off of specs here, just the feel. I was told by a local Jackson dealer that the USA Jackson necks vary slightly in thickness & feel. This could be due to multiple routers (or worn router bits) used to shape the neck contour.

Not sure if that theory is a valid one or not. Just passing it on. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
          >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

The catalog states 790 850 for the sl2h and 750 810 for the DK1. It might be small but I definitly can tell how much thinner the dinky neck feel is. I loved the profile so much I sold all my neck thru's and am loading up on DK1's. Definite better feel and it could also be the oiled neck which feels better to me on the dinky.

Comment

Although I am considering 1 of those sl2t's just to have a different bridge for different kinds of playing.

Comment

I agree with Huntin. I have a 2001 SL2H and a 2002 DK1. The SL2H definately feels thicker and wider. I like 'em both, just a different feel. Not sure how a DK2 compares to a DK1, but I assume it would be very similiar

Comment

the Jackson SL2H neck is completely healess, which means you get no annoying obsticles like a bolt on has, and you can reach the top end of the neck no problem. The SL2H is thru neck which means much better sustain and feel to it.

Comment

You think neck-throughs sustain better than bolt-ons? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I'm thinking bridge & pup type have more to do with it.
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yeah i think it does, u dont see bolt on les pauls, I have a bolt on at the moment with EMG 81's and it cant sustain for s**t. Thats why jackson has chosen the thru neck design for their soloist range, as it gives the best sustain and performance. Many also argue why PRS and other companies are making bolt on's on their top models when thru neck is truely the way to go. I guess its just a matter of taste on what you find more comftable playing.

Thats why bottom end guitars have bolt on's not neck thru's, but your right it is also pickups and bridge that have alot to do with it, and amp, and many other things i cnt think of right now

Comment

[img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] My Hamer Chapp sustains as well as my neck thrus and it is a bolt-on, it is awsome. The Bolt-Set-Neck thru debate is not even a debate, it all depends on pickups-bridge-amp. Jack.

Comment

How old are you, 15? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

The track record around here for 14-15 year olds is NOT good. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Best check your attitude lest ye be shown the door! [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by The Trooper:
                            Yeah i think it does, u dont see bolt on les pauls
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't see a lot of neck-thru Les Pauls, either.

All I know is my USA Warlock neck-thru didn't have the sustain of my USA Jackson strat-body bolt-on. But I attributed that to the pickups and the crappy Kahler on the Warlock (but I blamed a lot of stuff on the crappy Kahler, including my parents' divorce).

Comment

I certainly can say that I never noticed better sustain on my neckthru's over bolt-ons. My Wolfgang sustains for days and days.

I feel the upper fret access is the best asset, and even then a person learns to play around that.

In the 12+ guitars I have owned, the Wolfgang special plus my Sl2H had the best necks. If JAckson offered a oiled neck from the factory, then I think we would have a real winner.

IMO, cant go wrong with an SL2H.

Comment

Working...
                              X