Honest Opinions Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honest Opinions Needed

I am trying to gauge how much my '90 Custom Shop is worth in today's marketplace because I might want to find it a new loving home. I am in no rush to sell, and won't sell it unless I feel good about what I'll get for it. Somebody will get a gorgeous guitar, but it won't be given away.

I completed the quote form at Jackson's site to see what it would cost to build a guitar exactly like mine today. According to their estimate, it would be $3945.

Needless to say, I can't get anything close to that for mine. Probably not even 1/3.

Please advise me as to what this might really be worth in today's market.

To see the details, look here:

To see some (not so great) pics:
    Pic1
    Pic2
    Pic3
    Pic4
    Pic5

Re: Honest Opinions Needed

Cool guitar. All your links go to the same pic.

Matt

Comment

Crap! Thanks, Matt.

Proper links to pics:

Pic1
      Pic2
      Pic3
      Pic4
      Pic5

Comment

That guitar is ugly.

Well, you wanted my honest opinion! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

What kind of nut is that? I just paid round $1000 for a 1991 Custom Shop Tele Soloist. I bought it from a Music Store. I don't know if that helps much, as they are different beasts and the tele shape is pretty rare. I bought a 2000' custom shop Charvel Star off of Ken (member here) for $1000 as well.

If you really want to know, put it up on Ebay with what you want for it as a reserve, and see what it gets bid up to.

Rich

Comment

Less than $1,000, but more than what you paid for it.

That's my guess on worth.

Comment

You'd probably get between $650-$850. I honestly don't see it selling for more than that, even to someone who just HAS to have it.

Nice guitar, weird replacement nut... That's not factory.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I would say $600-800 but you never know on E-bay.
                Some stuff really sell for a lot of $$$.

I am not sure what kind of nut it has.
                It seems like the guitar has been modified.

Comment

The nut was original. The only thing changed was the pickups from a set of EMG SA/SA/81 to the Duncans that are there now.

The value you guys have quoted is sort of what I expected, but it doesn't make much sense to me. Oh well. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Racer, I don't think I've ever heard of anybody calling a figured archtop guitar ugly, but to each his own. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, now you have! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by jeff300:
                      The value you guys have quoted is sort of what I expected, but it doesn't make much sense to me. Oh well. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Why does it not make sense to you?

I could plug a pretty standard BGF 2-hum Soloist into the custom shop generator and get a $3,960 quote, but that doesn't make anyone else's BGF SL2H worth any more that about $1,000 or so. That's just where the used market is on these types of guitars (and even new, very few people are going to pay $3,960 for a custom shop Soloist. Many dealers would knock as much as $1,500 or more off that retail price when you order).

Granted, yours is a unique instrument, but it still doesn't up the value to any great degree (except maybe to someone who is looking for exactly what you've got). But if someone is looking to pay custom shop prices, they'll probably just get their own custom shop made.

Comment

That would be a Wilkinson Roller Nut. They were on the Strat Plus' for the first fewe years till they went with the LSR nut in 95.
                        Gil

Comment

RP, I'm not disagreeing with you at all.

What pisses me off is that a guitar like mine will fetch around $800 used, even if it is dead mint while a POS beat up Les Paul will sell for at least $2000. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] WTF!

That's what I don't understand. I should have been clearer.

Comment

I'm with you on that about the used Les Paul market.

I remember when I was in high school, people couldn't give Les Pauls away. My local music store carried both Gibson and Jackson/Charvel, and every time I'd go in there to check out the Charvels, they'd start in on me about the Les Pauls they had. They were offering insane deals to get rid of the things, but nobody wanted them.

Now I wish I had snatched up a bunch of those cheap Les Pauls. I could probably put my kids through on the profits from selling them today.

Comment

It makes sense because people who buy used les Pauls don't mind paying that. People who buy used Jacksons don't like to spend much over $800 unless it is really special. If your buying guitars for resale value, buy Gibsons. If I sell a guitar, it is only because I've grown out of love with it and at that point I'll sell it for what I can get. I've never "held out" to get what I think it is worth.

Rich

Comment

Working...
                              X