Question about the String Retainer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about the String Retainer?

They were used, as you would expect, on Strat heads with vintage trems: Floyds have retainer bars, Kahlers essentially do the same with the locknut behind the regular nut, and Charvel/Jackson pointy heads didn't need them because the headstock was angled back. Without a string retainer you don't always get the proper string angle over the nut for the high B and E strings. Here is a good pic of Charvel brass string retainers:

http://www.sandimascharvel.com/stringtree.htm

Re: Question about the String Retainer?

Thanks for the info, but I've seen Jackson headstocks with these(the long bar type that runs parallel to the nut). Why were they installed on pointy heads? They are angled back so I didn't think there would be a need for them. Thing is, you don't see a lot of them but they are out there. Anybody have a pointy with one that's factory installed??

Dave->
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Dave,

Are you sure? We should try to find some pics if we can. It's possible they made some Jackson/Pointy headstocks that weren't angled, but I don't think I've ever seen one.

Comment

The odd thing is, is that I don't think the headstock was flat. It was angled back like normal, that's why I'm a bit confused as to why it was needed at all. Hopefully someone can enlighten us [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Dave->
        Dave ->

Comment

Were they factory installed? I've seen a couple pics of Jacksons with them, but they're few and far between. I think people just put them on aftermarket. I had an old Yamaha with Floyd nut that didn't have one, but I had one laying around and just put it on, as I actually felt it was easier to string up going underneath the retainer bar for some reason. I don't mind them and actually prefer them over the stupid little string trees or buttons that Fender and Charvel used (though, they're not bad and do work and serve threir purpose, I just think the bar looks a little more aesthetically pleasing).
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I honestly don't know for sure if they were factory installed Joe. But I know I have seen them and wondered if they were. At the moment, I have a customer who has one and he said it was a custom shop but not ordered by him originally. I guess the original owner could have requested that but I'm really not sure what the point of one an an angled headstock is. I agree the bars look better than the string trees on strat type headstocks but it just seems useless on the Jacksons.

Dave->
            Dave ->

Comment

Dave, I have many tilt-back jackson type headstocks on various brand guitars that came with a retainer from factory. The retainer is definitely a tuning aid. Even though the headstock tilts back, the strings still angle a little upward (from the back edge of the locknut) when going to the tuners closest to the nut. Putting the string retainer bar there after the nut forces the strings downward, so that the strings are held down against the surface of the nut, so when you loosen the lock clamp, the string still stays down against the nut. You re-tune, then clamp, and because of the pressure of the string retainer, the odds are the string stays pretty much in tune when you clamp it.

On guitars without the retainer, (and in the case of the strings going a little upwards when wrapped around the closest tuners), when you loosen the nut clamp, the string actually lifts upwards too. If you loosen the clamp a lot, then the string will go up higher. When you retune, then attempt to tighten the clamp, the string then is pushed down, causing it to go a lot sharper in tune then you wanted.

So hopefully I described it right so you can see that the retainer helps when you have to loosen the nut, re-tune, then tighten the nut.

Comment

That actually makes sense Brian. Are any of them actually Jacksons? If so, were they from the factory? Any close up pics of that area I could see please? Thanks so much for the info!! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Dave->
                Dave ->

Comment

I've never had one on any of my 20+ Jacksons but I have them on my Ibanez's. Some of my Jacksons require a little fine tuning after locking them down but I never have this on the Ibanez's. That's a great point made by Brian. Never thought of that before....That's why I love this place! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

The only Jackson I've ever owned with a string retainer bar is a strathead, but I'm sure it could be easily requested, or added, and unless you can get a copy of the work order you'll probably never find out.
                    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Yes, very true. Thanks for all the info fellers. It is much appreciated.

Dave->
                      Dave ->

Comment

A retainer bar on an angled headstock is redundant to me. It really serves no purpose.
                        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Question about the String Retainer?

What's the story with the string retainer? Yes I know what it's used for but did they only use these for a certain amount of time? Were they really needed? Does anyone have any really good close up "headshots" (you can laugh now beavis [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )?

Thanks,
                          Dave->
                          Dave ->

Comment

Working...
                          X