Soloist! (and introduction)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soloist! (and introduction)

All right. Hey everybody, I'm.... new, as you may have noticed. I've just picked up a 1989 USA Soloist last week. The thing is a neck-thru H/S setup with a Floyd Rose, shark fin inlays, and, well, it's beat to hell. And, oddly enough, it doesn't sport any graphics or in-your-face paint. It's just black.

could anybody link me to any similar ones around? I've looked on the JCF gallery and I can't find one that's the same, or even that close. Or, failing a pic, could anyone tell me anything I don't know about my guitar? Rarity, resale, whatever. I picked the thing up for $450 w/HSC, so no matter what, I figure I got a worthwhile guitar.

And just wanted to tell you guys this looks like a pretty cool forum.

Re: Soloist! (and introduction)

It sounds like you scored a cool guitar. Most don't have graphics. Values are something I can't really comment on, others can help you with that. Graphics are generally more desireable than solid colors. None are really rare, but they are great guitars. That era they were all still made to order, which is kind of neat. Watch yourself as you may find yourself becoming drawn to buying more as they are killer guitars for the money.

Comment

check out the gallery (link up and to the left); I think chuckracer has a 1989 H-S soloist in there [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Hum-Sinlge? Not H-S-S? Sounds like it may be either a Custom Shop or someone filled in the middle pickup cavity.
        What's the serial number?

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Weren't they all "Custom Shop" in '89?

Comment

If you want to get technical, yes, they were, but that doesn't mean they were all "Made to Order, and only made when ordered". Jackson always had some form of standardized production model (beginning with the Student line), but they didn't have a de facto "Production Line" until the 1990 'USA' and Professional lines. I mean, they did make small runs of certain models in batches that had similar yet slightly different features prior to 1990 that were not specifically ordered by a customer. Dealers placed orders to have samples on-hand, but they were not always full-on Custom Shop models because those are prohibitively expensive and hard to sell.

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

They were all made to order. This is why they have work orders spelling out the details on the order specs. Dealers would tend to order fairly basic specs to appeal to a wider group of customers.

Comment

For those keeping score at home, I no longer own that one either. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

cool. It's a sweet guitar, that's why I'm wondering more about it. Serial is J5475 and I checked out Chuckracer's (cool) white one. The neck pup on mine isn't angled, and it's got a 3-way toggle instead of the blade selector.

Thanks guys

Comment

There is a very easy rule around here to follow....You must post pics of any and all cool guitars! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                    Anytime sooner than immediately would be appreciated..... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

well... lemme see... the girlfriend has a digital camera, and she's comin' out tomorrow... so... looks like I'll see if she wants to bring her cam to take a few pics of my new baby.

by the way, I have christened him "Terry" in honor of the guy who had his named engraved on the truss rod cover.

Oh--and it's cool, but.... really beat up at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                      X